8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Independent 8 - Trouble with my phone line

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Independent 8 - Trouble with my phone line
Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2018 02:55 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently experiencing some difficulties with my land line, so if you need to contact me at all please either email me at indi8films@aol.com or my mobile on 07906539453. I'll let everyone know once the land line has been sorted.

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2018 11:40 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I've managed to contact my line provider Talk Talk and they have found a difinite fault on my line, it should be fixed within 72 hours so hopefully by Wed/Thu it should be up and running again, as a temporary fix all my calls are being diverted to my mobile, so anyone who wants to contact me can now use my landline number or my mobile number I listed above.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2018 12:46 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wishing you the best of luck with Talk Talk Barry - I look after my cousin's house and had to change her 'phone / internet provider from Talk Talk as they just could not sort out a line problem to her house - all sorts of tests done and excuses made - changed to Plusnet and the problem disappeared (and about £15 per month cheaper too).

Kevin

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 21, 2018 09:39 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As this is my first fault with them, I'm afraid it's a wait and see situation.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2018 06:58 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Openreach are responsible for the telephones. Your internet service provider reports problems to them. Hope you service is back to normal.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2018 11:33 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not yet, but I'm hoping soon, I've got a feeling there are a few problems in my area at the moment, as I've seen many of there vans around the roads around me.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 24, 2018 03:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's certainly a strange problem that you have, Barry.
No live telephone operation but the ability to use the internet, albeit, a very slow performance.

--------------------
Maurice

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2018 03:51 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope they fix it for you soon Barry - the problem with TalkTalk is although they say it is a line fault it may well be an internal problem with their servers - using the term 'line fault' buys them time as the customer then assumes something physically broken - wiring or exchange problems etc, which would take longer to trace and repair.

I switched my cousin to Plusnet as they are owned by BT but priced lower and they have an option to pay £8 per month for inclusive international calls, which we need to call family in Italy and Switzerland.

Once switched the so called TalkTalk 'line fault' disappeared - amazing considering no engineer visited they just switched the account to the Plusnet servers and hey presto problem fixed.

At home we still have eight months of our TalkTalk contract to go but I will definitely switch away from them when the contracted time is up - as with any service based company you only find out how good or bad they are when something goes wrong.

Kevin

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2018 06:29 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another phone call later and I've got a date for the BT Engineers coming in, it's next Tuesday between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m., so at least it should be fixed after that (I'm crossing my fingers here!).

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 24, 2018 11:30 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that you get it all cleared up, Barry.

Deucibly hard to conduct business by phone with a wonkey phone
situation!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 29, 2018 11:21 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well finally my phone line has been repaired, so at least you mcan call me direct, but there's still a fault somewhere as my broadband speed is awful, we've now got a Talk Talk engineer coming out on Saturday.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2018 07:57 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just had a nice Talk Talk lady engineer come to look at my internet (or lack of it!), it seems there is still a fault on my main line coming into the property, so now it's back to BT, oh joy!

My speed (what you can call it!) is ranging from 0.4 down to as low as 0.1 mbps, a year ago I was getting nearly 3 mbps, so no catch up tv for me for a while, as it needs a minimum of 2 mbps. At least the phone is working, and I can get emails (for now!), but it's a bloody nuisance all around.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 01, 2018 08:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad news on your Internet speed, Barry. Why don't you take up BT's current offer on Infinity (fibre).

I have been with BT ever since I had a phone in the 70s. Each year on renewal of the contract BT have tried to get me to go to Infinity, but it's always been more expensive.

But recently on the annual renewal they offered me Infinity for the same price as I had been paying for their "ordinary" land-line. So I went for it.

Previously my speed had been 4.5, but now it's 44.7. [Smile]

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 01, 2018 09:20 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the fibre roll-out has reached him that is a good idea, if not he would have to wait as a relative of mine did - even after they had taken the order. That was in Dulwich London!!!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 01, 2018 09:38 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian
BT Infinity has reached Enfield. Here are details of what's on offer for EN3 6DX.
https://www.cable.co.uk/compare/bt-infinity/

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2018 06:19 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Finally my Broadband woes are over (I'm crossing my fingers typing this!), I had a brilliant BT Open Reach broadband engineer who came this morning and sorted every thing out, I've gone from 0.4 - 0.8 mbps to around 3.4 mbps, and what a difference it is already. He said to me if you can get a deal to go to fibre, go for it, as the speeds and reliability are much better. Talk Talk are phoning me sometime tomorrow, so I'll see what they say, but at least 3.4 mbps is OK for now.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2018 08:06 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just done a deal with my broadband provider Talk Talk, I'm getting fibre with an estimated 40 mbps speed, all UK calls included (plus a new high speed router), and it works out £4 a month more, so long gone are the days of programs buffering, it should all be up and running by June 22nd, I can't wait, now to watch some of the world cup in 4K via the BBC iplayer, yea!

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2018 06:00 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A neighbour upgraded to fibre at virtually no extra cost after indicating that he was thinking of switching to another provider. He, too, thought that he'd have free calls but it turned out that this was only for a short period. Best to check exactly what's included in your new deal.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2018 05:52 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will,

I've actually got half price calls, just £5 a month for the period of my contract (18 months), this includes all landline numbers and UK Mobile phones, I only have to pay for premium numbers or overseas (and it is very rare on either, if at all!).

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2018 04:17 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds a very good deal! Well done.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC