8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sound tape for striper

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound tape for striper
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2018 09:06 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question for anyone does anybody know where to get adhesive for gluing sound-strip on and does anybody know the dimensions for 8mm sound and super 8 sound tape? I have an opportunity to buy a sound stripper for adding tape to films but need some info and is the tape readily available?. thanks

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2018 09:12 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression it was a liquid stripe.

And right after I typed that I went and found a video of the exact thing you are talking about, so I learned something today.

Only sorry I can't tell you what you need to know!

Bolex sound striper

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 22, 2018 09:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FFR in Germany sells magnetic stripe but I'm not sure they sell the spools as they ask you to send your own. Is it for you to get 3 euros discount or is it because they are out of stock with spools ? http://www.ffr-film.de/index.php?page=band&language=eng

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2018 11:14 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The main stripe is .8mm wide, balance stripe is .4mm. The glue is based on acetone,(nail varnish remover). 2 parts acetone and 1 part dioxin, this is for acetate based film and Agfa f5 base stripe.

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2018 02:13 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
paul is this for 8mm or super 8?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its the same for both Jim, don't know about standard 8 could different for that....

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 23, 2018 04:04 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

I did my own striping with a Rexette years ago and the stripe is still good today as when I applied it back in the 70s, however I gave the film a good clean twice over, in particular on the edge where the stripe was to go. I always understood that getting the film cleaned was a must for the stripe to take.

Can you recommend a cleaner for doing that task as I cant remember what I used [Smile] It might also be something that Jim who started this topic might want to consider doing as well.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 23, 2018 06:45 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Graham, isopropyl alcohol I believe is used with a lint free cloth, to remove any waxing or lube on the film. Its important a task as the striping if you don't want loops of unglued stripe, plus the tensioning of both to get an even bonding, getting the glue and tape is the easy bit. Try to acclimatise both film and tape before you start, as they expand and contract at different rates, 24 hrs at least.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 23, 2018 01:16 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul... [Smile]

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 23, 2018 03:37 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
An old friend of mine used to do his own striping, and he cleaned his films in unleaded gasoline! (He called it "Petrol", of course!)

(This seems a little bit radical to me!)

The whole process sounded like kind of an art. As a matter of fact when I needed something striped, he said in honor of our friendship he wouldn't do the job, but checked EVTs work when they were done.

-and that, friends, is how two of my films wound up being projected in England!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC