8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Where can I find films for sale in NYC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where can I find films for sale in NYC
Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2018 04:01 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I will be visiting NYC in mid June (2018). Can someone point out where can I find S8/16mm/35mm films for sale in New York. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 24, 2018 09:23 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there is a such place other than antique shops, and I believe the price will be unrealistic. At least that was my experience in the northern America.

The best thing to do is to search from Ebay.com and have a friend in NYC to gather all purchases and you collect it one time when visiting NYC.

Cheers

--------------------
Winbert

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 24, 2018 11:19 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would also check on Craigslist everyday until you leave NY. You might find someone selling some film or equipment.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 25, 2018 09:07 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Jason, but normally Craiglist sellers don't ship or accept paypal as a method of payment. So it would not work for overseas buyers.

There are some marketplace websites too other than Craiglist such as Kijiji, Gumtree, Goodwill, etc... but their servers lock the visitors only from their respective countries.

--------------------
Winbert

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 04:38 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Where there is a will there is a way. [Wink]

If there was something nice he could arrange to meet the seller in NYC and buy it with cash.

I have done it on plenty of trips to the USA.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 27, 2018 05:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Where there is a will there is a way. [Wink]
Yes...for the IP locked websites... I am using VPN or simply installing Proxy extension in my browser [Razz]

But for meeting with buyer a half way in the city of NY...I am just saying GOOD LUCK!... [Big Grin] [Wink]

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 28, 2018 04:01 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They say for better or for worse, you can buy anything in New York City.

-but I've been living in Greater New York my entire life and I've never bought a film there.

There was a time when you could, but that was long ago.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 28, 2018 08:07 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julian,

Please contact me via email to let me know the dates you will be in NYC. If you're interested, we could try to arrange a meeting or a screening with other NY Forum members.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2018 06:10 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Doug, thanks. You have email.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 01, 2018 11:55 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The times when you could visit practically any camera shop to buy films, has gone - The one area left is Olden Camera, just around the bend from Penn Station, though the choices are very limited, several Super 8 cartoons, but nothing more except some projectors and equipment - I work in the city often and have scoured many old shops to no avail - The few antique/collectible places might have a few items, but those days when film was abounding has long past - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 02, 2018 11:39 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shorty ...

I'm absolutely floored that there is still a camera shop that even has super 8 films up for sale!!!

That would make a neat little film you could make, if you had the time, like a little diocumentary ... "The last super 8 film store in the U.S."

... and then, all the little stores that still exist around the U.S., would probably start popping up all over the place saying that they still have some as well! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 02, 2018 12:10 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There some libraries that have old stock, likely in their basements, even the various schools might harbor film to this day. It'd be a monumental task, as would my book idea on RKO Radio Shorts - Perhaps when more time and allowances will provide - Shorty

Can Sanalan
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2018 02:47 PM      Profile for Can Sanalan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last time I was in NYC was in 2013 and I kept an eye out for flea markets and street fairs. This was in May. At the time I wasn’t collecting film but cameras and did see the odd seller selling 8mm stuff, cameras and films. I think those places are also a good place to start.
If you do find anything let us know:)
Good luck.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 02, 2018 03:07 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some vendors along 8th Avenue and along Broadway did have 8mm films now and again, some managed to get TV/Film scripts (don't know how) - I would buy some films occasionally back then, and I still take a look even today, but no film - Shorty

Julian Baquero
Expert Film Handler

- posted June 02, 2018 05:25 PM      Profile for Julian Baquero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joe for the reply. It seems I will have to activate my film detector to see if I can eventually fetch something. I will be in NYC with my wife and son, so that limits my options of wandering around.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 03, 2018 09:12 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try the curiosity shops with collectibles, might find a reel or two - We'll run into each other eventually - Shorty

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 03, 2018 04:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Julian,

I replied to your email on Friday. I hope we can make this happen!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 03, 2018 04:45 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Doug - What news? - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC