8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sound Recording Super 8 Film Available Again!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sound Recording Super 8 Film Available Again!
Cobi Fox
Junior

- posted May 25, 2018 06:56 PM      Profile for Cobi Fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems we can now use our sound-recording Super 8 cameras the way they were meant to be, with sound film! I found a company in the UK that's selling it, called The Old Film Company. It's available as both B&W reversal and color reversal film, both sold in 50' lengths. The B&W film is actually old Kodachrome 40 film that's been repackaged, but I think the color film, Vintachrome, is all new stock.

Each purchase includes processing. The B&W film costs £69.99 each, and the color film costs £89.99. Though this is certainly pricey, it's incredible that magnetic-striped Super 8 film is even available, period!

Black and White
Color

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 26, 2018 05:39 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to hear but I'd need a pretty big incentive to use it! I find the thought of spending nearly £1 for every two seconds hard to cope with!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 07:26 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this before; I'm wondering if it's old stock that has been repackaged. The colour looks ropey, and I never had watermarks in any professionally processed film.

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 08:21 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to try this film, but the price is too high considering the amount of film I would probably put in the trash after editing. Some of my completed short films have an outtake reel with almost as much footage [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Cobi Fox
Junior

- posted May 26, 2018 02:18 PM      Profile for Cobi Fox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, the Black and White film is repackaged Kodachrome 40. The Old Film Company says they don't sell any with a Process By date that is before 1998. However, there is no mention of the color film being repackaged, so it may be new stock. I have no connections to the company, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC