8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » SUPER-8 beats the DVD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SUPER-8 beats the DVD
Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 04:08 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some time ago I purchased the full feature of the Humphrey Bogart classic THE ENFORCER and made a surprising discovery!
This is a print from France: it has the OV on track one and small, non-disturbing French subtitles and my idea was to re-record the german dubbing on the balance track.
The discovery is, that the Super-8-version includes scenes which are NOT on the DVD! Like a very special „shaving sequence“ to prepare a murder with an extraordinary soundtrack!
Do You also know Super-8-titles with scenes missing on DVDs?
Regards
Oliver

|  IP: Logged

Alexander Vandeputte
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 05:00 AM      Profile for Alexander Vandeputte     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the most famous one being FALL OF THE ROMAN EMPIRE where apparently the super 8 version is the most complete version currently in circulation.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 11:47 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver - I have the 4x 400' version of that Bogart film from Mountain films. Assuming it is edited slightly, how many reels is the full length version?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 04:13 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin
It’s 5 x 400‘ reels and the full feature.
Contrast is okay, the scenes in the night are close to perfect.
Zero Mostel is amazing and as I mentioned: the musical soundtrack is phantastic!

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 04:22 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my favourite movies; the Mountain feature was already discontinued when I got my sound projector. I taped it once off the TV, then downloaded it from the internet, and both times it included the shaving sequence. This was Bogart's last film for Warner Brothers; he wanted to be released from his contract, then Errol Flynn got similar ideas. At least Bogart went out on a high; I consider this among his best films.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 26, 2018 05:17 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Oliver. It's nice to know my copy is not that much shorter, having never seen it in any other version yet anywhere other than 4x 400' and a great (slight) cut down it is too!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 01:35 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never heard of this title until I bought it...
and I also think it’s one of Bogarts finest performances.
But also I have never seen Zero Mostel so touching before.
And the soundtrack of David Buttolph is outstanding.
It seems to me that the violent scenes had been removed from the german print at the time of its release.
And there are funny dialogues in the german dubbing from the 50s. This was a time when they knew less about american slang.

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 04:45 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Intriguing!
I too love these classics and had never heard of this one being available on 8mm.
If it helps this is out on BR in USA, Canada and Spain from Olive Films running at 87mins, (I guess at 23.98fps?) so how does that compare to the Mountain Full feature running time?
The BR screenshots look pretty good too.
Best,
Rick

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 01:24 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the Mountain 4 x 400ft version sold under the title 'Murder Inc.' hence some may not have heard of it on Super 8 as The Enforcer? I think I have it here somewhere must have a look sometime.

Kevin

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 27, 2018 02:23 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Alexander I was in the queue for a 70mm showing of The Fall of the Roman Empire" and Trevor Wilsner from Lone Wolf was ahead of me saying his prints had more scenes than the one we were about to see.

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 31, 2018 12:12 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In The Last Train from Gun Hill are two or three missing Scenes on the DVD.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC