8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 702 modification.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 702 modification.
Thomas Edwards
Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2018 04:44 AM      Profile for Thomas Edwards     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know if it is possible to modify Sankyo 702 projector to take 800ft spool on the take up arm?

|  IP: Logged

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2018 05:41 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas - Assuming the 702 is built very similarly to the 700, the easiest way to accommodate an 800' spool on the back is to unscrew that rear film feeder bit where the film comes out of before going on to the take up spool. That creates the extra bit of space needed.
Be careful not to lose the screw in the machine as it is awkward to get it out. Also bear in mind that this is NOT an ideal solution as it could cause potential scratching of the film. But no doubt you find it as frustrating as I do that an 800' can fit nicely on the front arm but not normally on the back.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Thomas Edwards
Film Handler

- posted June 06, 2018 06:22 AM      Profile for Thomas Edwards     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Melvin I will try it just looking to see where the film could be scratch.

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted June 09, 2018 11:56 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Thomas,
I know of two ways to achieve this. The first method was explained in an earlier thread by Lee Mannering ( about halfway on page 2 ) Here's the link:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002017;p=2

The method I chose ( to modify my 800 to handle 1200' ) involved obtaining another feed/supply arm from any 600/700/800 model projector. Remove projector back cover and remove the belt from the take-up arm pulley, then remove take-up arm. Remove the nylon pulley assembly from the spline of the take-up arm. Remove the nylon gear assembly from the spline of your extra feed/supply arm and replace with the pulley assembly removed from take-up arm. Re-install your new take-up arm onto your projector and replace the belt. Replace rear cover. Mission accomplished!
There is a drawback to this method. You will no longer be able to fold the take-up arm neatly along the lamp house cover as before when storing the projector. This doesn't bother me as the larger reel capacity is worth the trade-off, I think.
Good luck and let us know how it works out.

...A photo of my Sankyo 800 nearing end of 1600' reel with ease.
 -

[ June 11, 2018, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Burton Sundquist ]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 11, 2018 09:58 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas - not withstanding what Burton has said, with my method the potential scratching problem could arise when the outside cover is placed back on the machine. As the film comes out of the rear of the machine onto the take up spool, it can rub along the bottom of the exit area of the outside cover. The only time you would realize it had been a problem would be the next time you project the image.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC