8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Filmguard save? How to apply? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Filmguard save? How to apply?
Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2018 07:46 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this Filmguard and let it ship to the Netherlands.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 23, 2018 07:49 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Luigi. From the UK.

--------------------
Dominique

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2018 04:54 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmguard arrived today. I have some tests and it seems excellent, but I still have to learn how to dose it.
Having it sprayer, how many sprays are suitable... every 15 meters of film?
Or maybe one spray is indicated for more meters?

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2018 06:07 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put the film onto the arms of my cine editor. I use a small artist's paint brush to apply a little Filmguard to both sides of the film between the arms. I hold a piece of clean cotton cloth around the film between my thumb and first finger as I wind, say, 15 to 30 metres of film from one spool to the other depending on how dirty the film is when I check the cloth. I then repeat the process using a fresh piece of cotton each time until the end of the reel is reached. When I rewind, I hold a piece of cotton cloth lightly between my thumb and finger again to wipe off the surplus. You don't need much Filmguard as a little goes a long way.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 20, 2018 09:57 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eventually managed to get a bottle of FilmGuard from Steve Osborne's store (yay! [Smile] ) for my fellow collector. He's kind enough to let me have a small sample&try it a bit before passing it to him.

From what I've found,it is a bit more "oily" than I thought. So I gave only a squirt of spray on the cloth to make it wet,but not dripping. Then run a test reel (50ft of 8mm film) through it. Found out that's still more than enough,so I run the second pass with the other side of the cloth (where it's still not so wet) to wipe off the excess.

The result is quite exactly what I expected. The film runs smoother/quieter than it was. The small base scratches simply disappeared. [Big Grin] Emulsion scratches&other blemishes are noticeably reduced. Dust&dirt are partially removed,too.

Summary - apply just enough amount of FilmGuard to make it effective. Over-application would be quite a waste and would cause more trouble than solution. [Razz]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2018 05:51 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I overdid this and running that film through my GS1200 the soundhead had difficulty with this I think.
I heared a lot of noise.
Now I have to clean the soundhead with alcohol.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2018 10:42 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, one spray for 50ft is more than abundant, lesson learned.
I had sprayed two of them, the film was very oily, but passing the dry cloth and surplus go out.

A note: it is normal that in addition to normal dirt, on the cloth you also see the signs of the magnetic strips? Of course, the strip is not damaged, it is not detached and always works.
I remember that this also happened also with other cleaners.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 21, 2018 01:09 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi,

Yes, a little streak the same color as the stripe sometimes shows up on the cloth. This has happened with every cleaner I have ever used and there has never been an audio issue.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2018 04:35 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the audio issue I have is because of all the oil on the soundhead.
I hope, otherwise my projector has another serious issue.
Too bussy with work at the moment, so I placed this on the side for now.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted August 21, 2018 04:50 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any news on the smaller more affordable and usa to the EU postable bottles for the UK yet.

Hope so.

Thanks Mark.

[ August 22, 2018, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Mark Todd ]

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2018 04:50 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Douglas, it's true, there have never been any damage to the magnetic strips even if I found those little brown traces. It also happened to me with a cleaner that was not even lubricant.

Mark, I think the UK retailer also has a small bottle, but I don't know the cost.

Matthieu, but this problem with heads happened sometimes even before You used Filmguard? Did you then try to clean with alcohol? Me too, the first time I got too grease on film, but audio sounded good.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted August 22, 2018 06:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI - 1 ounce is a typical amount to properly clean and lubricate a 2 hour 35mm print (which would be about 12,000 feet).

So obviously it takes hardly any at all to do a Super 8 print.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 22, 2018 09:11 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok,based on 1oz. for 12,000ft of 35mmfilm.

So it's approximately 50,000ft of 8mm/super8 per ounce,and for a 16oz. bottle of filmguard...

Well,that's probably more than enough for my rather small collection. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2018 03:49 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Splicing films together is a problem after adding Filmguard, since it won't stick anymore. I had to clean it off with a alcohol tissue for glasses. I did this with the ends of both parts (12 frames or so), and after splicing togetrher, I added Filmguard again and cleaned it.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2018 05:15 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Solvent or tape splice?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 22, 2018 05:54 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just dry (with a cloth) the zone I want to splice (with tapes) and it works without problem. When I use cement, I splice before appliying Filmguard but I guess that since you remove a part of the stock, the product should not interfer with the glue.

--------------------
Dominique

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2018 07:37 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use taape.
I just added filmguard and than decided to put the 3 400" reels on a 1200" reel.
Taping did not stick and drying with a cloth did not work for me.
Maybe because it was still to fresh.
Not sure the alcohol damages film.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 24, 2018 10:23 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film needs to be wiped completely dry for tape splices to hold.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted November 24, 2018 10:45 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The FilmGuard should wipe off with ease using a dry cloth. If it isn't, then you are applying WAY too much and will simply have to use multiple dry cloths to dry off those 2 frames before you apply the splicing tape.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC