8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ELMO issues ... really?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELMO issues ... really?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I am working on an ELMO GS 1200 (well, i think that's it, it's not here for me tyook at as I'm at the library. It's the one with magnetic and optical sound).

When running film through the projector, the projector will often during "playback' turn off the lamp as it's running. I think it loses the loop or something, but it seems like an automatic function with this projector ...

So, how do i get this projector to stop constantly turning off the lamp and losing the loop? by the way, this happens whether I'm running magnetic, or optical, or even if I'm running a 600ft, 400ft or even a 200ft.

Help, folks?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2018 06:18 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film path alignment and general tune up required.

I can’t pin down the issue exactly but as described it is due for what most of these need since it has been so long since it has been done to begin with. For many years your projector sat around not being used and it got dry due to lack of use so a technician should go through it remove all dried grease clean and lubricate the chassis and bring it back to life

For me to explain, let's go on a trip down memory lane. Thirty or so years ago when these machines were new, Dad ran the movies for his kids. Asa technology changed and the kids became adults, Grandpa received a new device called a VCR for his birthday or Father's day. And now the clunky projector sat in the closet - later to be moved to the garage or attic - now suffering the fate of neglect and the environments of the four seasons. Extreme winter cold - and hot humid summers. It didn't take long for grease and lubrication to dry up - and rubber belts achieve meltdown.

After Grandpa died and Grandma went to assisted living, the kids cleaned out the estate. They found and remembered the projector - but nobody wanted it as now they have DVD in their life. So the beautiful projector that has sat dormant for years now goes on Ebay and along comes Chip or Osi and we're the ones stuck getting it going again.

None of my machines had the problem you describe but they had enough To require a general tune up and upon coming back my issues were solved

I was actually pleased to read your letter about the problem it makes me satisfied to know that I was not the only one but I can also tell you as one who is been through it after the technician works it you should be happy . Just keep in mind you have to be patient it may very well take more than one trip to the repair shop to get it going but you will be happy when it’s done

You will have to pay money to get it done the first time and hopefully that’s all you will need but do your homework and make sure the shop that does the work has some kind of warranty so that if it does have to go back more than once some of the additional work will be covered at no charge especially when you tell them the first time to bring it back to life and get it going again they really need to be a technician who can check everything and avoid a return trip to the repair shop .

Search out an old fashioned stereo television repair center near you. Go visit ask for the manager. Explain what you need. Let them know you can provide what they need to do the job. Test films, projector manual, service manual, access to parts, and a write up of the problems to address.

By locating such place, you can save lots of money and risk by dropping the projector off and picking it up when it's done. You can also go and visit them if they get stuck with an issue. Together, the two of you can work it out by examining the machine. They will be fixing it - but you will know how to run it.

Osi you can contact me via private emails to go further with this: prfcg2 (at) aol (dot) com. Stick with me and let me help you get through this.

Kind regards

Chip Gelmini

[ June 12, 2018, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: Chip Gelmini ]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 12, 2018 08:50 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ninety percent of GS1200 problems are related to switch and contact problems due to dirt and corrosion. These are usually fairly straight forward to fix, often by the owner, and the micro-switches are readily available. The good news is that the most critical part of the projector, namely the magnetic sound head, seems to last just about forever. A thorough cleaning of all the circuit boards and their associated contacts, relays and solenoids, as Chip has had done on his machines, will restore this great projector to its full glory.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 12, 2018 09:07 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Are the microswitches you are talking about the pressure activated ones commonly pushed on by a cam to for example turn the lamp on and off and choose the direction of the motor?

I see these in different activation forces. Do you know which one Elmo used?

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 13, 2018 10:39 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The little micro-switches, used throughout the GS1200, are SPDT submini lever switches, with a contact rating of 5 amps and a voltage rating of 125/250 volts AC. The Radio Shack part number is 275-0016 or D8P14. Some of these switches may come with a roller, but you just cut that off with a sharp pair of scissors. You need to cut the lever arm length anyway, to be the same length as the switch it is replacing.
These little switches are connected to relays and solenoids which do all the work of moving the auto-thread mechanism, switching the lamp on and off, controlling the forward and reverse, etc - you name it. Fortunately these little switches are dirt cheap and readily available. Any GS1200 owner is advised to have about 6 or more of these on hand. The one's that seem to give the most trouble are the front and back switches of the auto thread mechanism, and the ones associated with the lamp switch. These seem to need replacement every 10 years or so.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 13, 2018 10:53 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You guys are totally talking WAAAY over my head!

... and. unfortunately, i live in a one and a half horse town with no reapir shops to speak of and the closest thing to a potenail repair shop might be Boise, fifty miles away.

I think whjat i'll do is what was suggested. open up the projector and go through, with a "fine toothed comb", (cotton tips), and do a thorough cleaning job.

What should i specifically use?

Film cleaner?
Good ole Rubbing Alcohol?

I must say, though I have loved Eumig's for many a years, the audio playback, just from the speakers in the projector itself, have an incredible range to the magnetic sound, (even the optical is pretty darned good). I wonder what level of quality they used for the magnetic sound heads?

I'd swear that they almost sound as good as top of the line old school magnetic tape cassette player sound heads.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 13, 2018 10:58 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On some machines I've worked on, these switch the lamp on and off directly. As you can imagine, they take quite a beating. (especially after about 40 years...)

One of mine (an ST-800) had the lamp stay on even when the control was returned to Full Stop. The lamp switch had so little usable contact left it was starting to weld closed. Until I fixed it I had to be prepared to shift back into "drive" to get the fan going and then yank the plug, and never, ever stop the machine with film in the gate.

(Great Saturday project, and nothing to do in a hurry!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2018 11:03 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The repair shop I used Was 125 miles each way and well worth the trip If you are not experienced repairing or working on electronic devices then find someone who can do the job for you at a low price

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC