8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Ahhhh, for the love of film!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ahhhh, for the love of film!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 12, 2018 12:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My fam and I were watching two scope reels last night, "The revenge of the Sith" (my own little digest of the first 25 or so minutes of the feature, ending at the crash landing of the ship, recorded in stereo by the incredible Lance Alspaugh!) ...

and the very good Derann digest of "Never Ending Story"!

Now, what i was reallt struck by, was that the day before that, we had watched the bluray of "The Never Ending Story' and I noted that the bluray was a good deal darker than the super 8 Derann print, but what REALLY struck me was that in that early scene, where Atrayel is receiving his quest (the scene in the Empress' Ivory Tower), I was struck by the color scheme in that scene.

On the bluray, it's literally an almost totally orange brown mess with little color actually standing out, almost devoid of colors beyond the dark orange brown ...

... but on the Super 8 Derann print, (which might just be a tad bright), it is a very colorful, very nice scene with very good colors popping out.

By the way, a very sharp super 8 scope print as well!

It made me very happy to have that digest.

I wonder if the folks who put out that bluray of "Never" just put some form of filter on the whole print when processing it for bluray? I should ay that not all scenes are that bad, but i was a lot darker than i remember the film.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted June 12, 2018 12:26 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celluloid, never avoid - Technology enhances yet never comes to true digital pinpoint - I'd much rather hear the sputtering and flickering of film through the aperture, it is almost a mystery to be unraveled, film is - Discs and such have their place for now (like tape before), and like records, paintings, books and toys, nothing will replace (aesthetically), motion picture film - It is where it all started - There would be no DVDs and such if it wasn't for the roots and origins of film - Don't get me started - Shorty

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2018 08:10 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember hiring Neverending Story in 1986 from one of several hire companies still going at that time.

I was only 15 and had only recently discovered super 8 'scope, hiring the lens from the same company and the 400ft Star Wars.

I'd changed my bedroom around especially to get maximum throw and made a "huge" screen (well, was to me at that time - about 6ft wide) by carefully sticking A4 white paper together!

Screening 'scope films like these felt like actually having a cinema at home. VHS on the TV was hopeless by comparison.

Thanks Derann & those hire people now sadly all since gone. Happy memories.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 13, 2018 10:55 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, truly, we could not heap enough Kudo's on Derann, Kempski, as well as the many other super 8 providers throughout the years!

I think the other thing that i really love is that, when saved on low fade stock (and still looking just as good today), we are seeing the color scheme that the directors and film-makers intended in large part and not a re-colorization to prepare them for modern audiences.

it's part of what makes up our memories of the film when we first saw it. When i watch my 1977 Cineavision STAR WARS, i know that my brain can be fuzzy as to exactly what i saw when it first came out, (except for that massive Star Destroyer completely filling that screen, coming down after the Rebel Blockade Runner, with me in the front row), but with that 1977 print, I really am seeing it as it was ...

... with a little 10 and half year old boy, munching popcorn as if his life depended on it!!! (it probably did at the time!)

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC