8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » BACK IN THE DAY (please take part in this)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BACK IN THE DAY (please take part in this)
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 13, 2018 04:42 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone recently asked, “What film did you run to the ground?” Now I don’t have an answer to that, because I have all the original prints I ever bought with exception to a few that I have sold. One of those was the Marketing print of Grease. It’s been shown a lot during the early days of collecting but it was never worn out. It was sold because my current copy is the Derann re-release in cinemascope. And I never sell a print unless I can replace it with a better copy. I never sell a print just to get rid of it. Not even to get something else. If I want another film, and it’s not a better copy of something I already have, then either I buy it or I don’t buy it.

The question made me think of something else which I encourage all of you to do in this post with replies. I’ll get it started.

My question is: How old were you and what year did you get started. Let’s see before/after pictures.

Pictures below show what’s been going on at my house. It’s hard to believe this started in 1979 with the build of my current booth. A strong 39 years. Pictures show 1979 right with my first sound projectors, the Bell & Howell model 1733BZ with the Scherer small hub 400 foot reels. The wall to my right was soon moved to make room for what is now the current sound rack. Of course, I started many years ago back in the 60’s with the love of the family movies and the Argus regular 8mm projector my Dad bought to run the fifty foot spools of family gatherings. We still own that projector as of today. I’ve been at this current house for 39 years strong. But I have probably been with film since 1965 when I was just five years old.

As the years have gone by, I never stopped trying to make my cinema better. Whether it would be sound; picture; or equipment. I never ever stopped making it better. If I thought of an idea, I researched it. Most things worked. There were a few times that some things did not work out. Either by complexity, or it just wasn’t right. But whenever something did not work, it was never a failure – but more a darned good attempt to make it better.

The first booth was stained a color to look like furniture in a room. I believe Minwax was the brand although I forget the actual name of the stain type. The first photo shows the room before the suspended ceiling was installed. The first picture shows the antique theater wood chairs later replaced by more current theater seating. Although current seating is not shown in these pictures, it remains installed in 2018.

The more current pictures show the design change in projection and viewports; the installed suspended ceiling; and the color of black wall paint with white port frame trim. Also the movie poster is gone and my original designed logo is currently in place. The movie poster glared by camera flash was for the movie Xanadu.

I’ve written the details here as the pictures had to be shrunk to upload, so the text on the images might be difficult to see. And if I remember correctly the pictures in 1979 I was just starting to begin with still photography, another hobby of mine. Now I am Nikon D-50 digital. But you know what? Yes, I really do recall using a Kodak C-110 camera to shoot the pics below dated 1979. Dang! I’m older than I thought………..

So now, my final question: Who will post some before/current pictures after me? We need new blood to keep this hobby alive. To some of you younger folks just starting out now is the time for you to be very patient in finding hardware and footage. We older folks had that process much easier back in the day. But I say to you I remember when I started. I was 19 with very low income. But I didn’t let that stop me from doing what I really wanted. So please keep at it and never ever give up!

As they say…..to be continued…………….

-

-

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2018 05:59 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to give away my age now, but I bought my first projector and film on my 18th Birthday in 1978, I bought a Chinnon 7500 from my local Dixons store, I had to wait until my birthday as you had to over 18 to get the old hire purchase agreement, and even then Dad had to sign as a guarantor. I then preceded to hire films and buy films from the likes of Quality Products (in Romford) and Perry's Movies (in Wimbledon), then I found a little company in the West Midlands, and I was away. Oh Happy days!

Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2018 11:32 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chip, I think you will find that this topic is covered in another thread , but just for your interest I started 74 years ago at the age of 10 with a tinplate "Bing" 35mm tinplate projector with up to 50ft strips of nitrate stock. The lamp was a torch bulb!
Purchased my first camera for £5.00 a 9.5mm Coronet at the age of 13 having moved on to a Pathescope ACE projector the previous year.
More details on the other thread. Ken Finch. [Wink]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted June 14, 2018 11:36 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip ...

This series of posts well worth it, just to see a pic of you from 1979!!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC