8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Yankee Doodle Dandy on Super 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yankee Doodle Dandy on Super 8mm
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 02, 2018 10:27 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the 4th of July just a day away we watched this wonderful film last night on DVD. James Cagney won an Oscar for his incredible performance in this film, and I was wondering if it was ever released on super 8mm as a digest or in full length?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4ze_OB1I5k

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 02, 2018 10:58 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, this was released full length, as i sold a full feature of it last year, but I can't remember what company released this on super 8.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2018 11:02 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly was Paul, and the full feature appears fairly often on ebay, I think derann print exists, not sure if a 400 footer does though. I'm a big Cagney fan, this was a very different movie to the gangster stuff he did, still great from "rocky Sullivan ".

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2018 11:17 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a full length copy. It's a great movie. And a nice print I forget who did it. I think it came from Jeff Aikman.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2018 11:29 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Super 8 full feature was one of Red Fox's finest b/w prints along with San Francisco:

-

Kevin

Alan Gouger
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2018 12:24 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a copy of this title, I screened it last year. Going from memory it is a nice print. Paul are you considering adding this to your collection?

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 02, 2018 03:07 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have the 400ft version which shows a little run up for five minuites to the title song and this is follwed by the the broadway song and dance which is slightly abridged. A good little reel with decent quality with the image being slightly light in places.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 02, 2018 03:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a great movie, and Keith Wilton could have done a wonderful job editing it down to a 2 x 400ft double album digest for Derann, similar to what he did on the Busby Berkeley films. I wonder why Derann did not release it, after all they had the contract with UA for WB films.
Kevin your Red Fox label says that the film is in color, what's that all about?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2018 05:07 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul

It is definitely a black and white film of course and on b/w stock. Its just a typo as they used more or less the same template for all their features - this was a scan from the original boxes not a home made repro.

Derann possibly did a few of these as they reprinted a lot of the Red Fox negs when Derek got them - Adventures Of Robin Hood (the full feature), The Time Machine, Forbidden Planet, High Society, Strike Up The Band etc. were all originally printed by Red Fox and then by Derann so others may well have slipped out.

Kevin

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2018 10:14 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keep an eye out for the super8mm trailer of YDD. The trailer reel is extra long with snippets of dialog and song clips that's enjoyable. The identical trailer is available on 16mil.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC