8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What commercials are on this reel?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What commercials are on this reel?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 05, 2018 10:59 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again ...

I just bought this Red Fox reel from 55555yankees and I thought i was getting the complete reel, but I found that it had at least two or more commercials missing, (as there were two splices on the reel and inbetween commercials, an obvious hint as to something missing).

I wrote the seller not as much to gripe, but to just ask if he could tell me what was missing from this reel so that, in the future, if I should run across another copy, I'll know what to look for concerning what was "originally" on it.

He didn't reply to my ebay message ...

I must say, that the ebay auction didn't say that it was the complete original release of this, so, my bad ... in the future, I'll ask before I bid.

So, does anybody know what the full reel originally had?

Here is a link to what i bought and the listing of what I got ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TV-STAR-COMMERCIAL-REEL-Super-8-SOUND-200-039-Marx-Brothers-The-3-Stooges-/163099291830?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=XX O5sh7V9uEw3vRpSDaUpZLcags%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Thanks ahead of time.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2018 02:17 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've bought an item from this guy to his descriptions are always vague he didn't point out the film had some minor folds and a couple of torn sprockets so I got some money back from him for it one be-aware of this seller while his stuff is good he may not give you the full details in the description ask?'s
Is there a red fox logo on the lab leader indicating its the original film in box? maybe someone has a red fox catalog that can describe this print did you try you tube?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 05, 2018 02:40 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gentlemen you both bought a used print some dealers don’t always describe things as good as you would hope inspection on the rewind bench and a little repair work is all it takes Vincent is a good man I’ve never bought from him something that I later regretted.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 06, 2018 11:39 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it has all the original leader on it and it is infact an "official" Red Fox print, it just has those two (or more) "deletions" from the reel sold.

I should note that every commercial that he said was on the reel, was in fact on the reel, but as you said he didn't let the buyer know that the reel was incomplete. I'm hoping that he might get back to me as to what is missing from the reel, but he might not honestly know.

Just know folks, I'm not going after this fellow, (I'm assuming fellow, most collectors of cine are), as i only do that with those folks who really royally screw you. This guy didn't, and he might have known for a fact that this reel was incomplete. I mean, it did come in it's litterally mint box and it is unscratched condition, it's just missing footage, that's all, and I'm just wanting to know what the missing commercials are.

The list of what is on the reel is on the ebay listing that i linked to at the beginning of this series of posts.

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 07, 2018 03:54 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,your link shows the Blackhawk Sampler! Anyway,the Red Fox TV STAR COMMERCIALS includes the following: Buster Keaton for Simon Pure Beer,Groucho Marx for DeSoto,Chico and Harpo Marx for Prom shampoo, Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck for Tang, Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz for Phillp Morris,Don Knotts and Andy Griffith for Kellog's,The Three Stooges (with Joe DeRita) for Simoniz car wash,The Flintstones for Winston and Jack Benny for Texaco gasoline.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 07, 2018 10:20 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As per Osi's link, Osi now has:

1. Marx Brothers

2. The 3 Stooges

3. Jack Benny

4. Dennis Day

5. Buster Keaton

6. The Flintstones

While Panayotis lists the complete reel has the following ads:

1. Buster Keaton for Simon Pure Beer

2. Groucho Marx for DeSoto

3. Chico and Harpo Marx for Prom shampoo

4. Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck for Tang

5. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz for Phillp Morris

6. Don Knotts and Andy Griffith for Kellog's

7. The Three Stooges (with Joe DeRita) for Simoniz car wash

8. The Flintstones for Winston and Jack Benny for Texaco gasoline.

So Osi you are missing no. 5 and 6 from the above list.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted July 07, 2018 10:24 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As per Osi's link, Osi now has:

1. Marx Brothers

2. The 3 Stooges

3. Jack Benny

4. Dennis Day

5. Buster Keaton

6. The Flintstones

While Panayotis lists the complete reel has the following ads:

1. Buster Keaton for Simon Pure Beer

2. Groucho Marx for DeSoto

3. Chico and Harpo Marx for Prom shampoo

4. Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck for Tang

5. Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz for Phillp Morris

6. Don Knotts and Andy Griffith for Kellog's

7. The Three Stooges (with Joe DeRita) for Simoniz car wash

8. The Flintstones for Winston and Jack Benny for Texaco gasoline.

So Osi you are missing no. 4, 5 and 6 from the above list.

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 08, 2018 02:53 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi- I believe Dennis Day is the gas station attendant,with Jack Benny, (he was with the Benny radio and tv shows for many many years).
Winbert- The Flintstones ad and the Jack Benny ad are separate. The Groucho ad and the Harpo and Chico ad are separate. So there are nine ads in all!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted July 09, 2018 07:02 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Os, had this reel a year ago and sold it - Should-a told me [Smile] - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 09, 2018 11:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it IS Dennis Day!

Thank you for that complete list! Dang! Tang! I would have liked that commercial! Thank you for that!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC