8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Intermittent problem with Bell & Howell 256EX projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Intermittent problem with Bell & Howell 256EX projector
Gareth Randall
Junior

- posted July 10, 2018 05:53 AM      Profile for Gareth Randall   Email Gareth Randall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi guys,

I recently found some 8mm films at a garage sale. While playing one in my B&H 256EX (bought by my parents when they got married in 1964), it suddenly started making a much louder clattering noise and the picture went to pot, as shown in this video: 8mm projector fault

The next film I ran through was fine, the one after that was fine until about 5 minutes in and then the same problem exhibited again.

This is likely to be a mechanical fault rather than anything to do with the condition of the film, isn't it?

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 03:59 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it losing a loop somewhere? It looks a little like that.
This can sometimes be cured by cleaning/lubricating the film.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted July 10, 2018 09:48 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dumb question,are film perfs still in good shape?

If yes,then I suspect moldy/moisted film resulted in sticky emulsion - making it too stiff for the claw to pull it through. A good cleanup should help. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Gareth Randall
Junior

- posted July 11, 2018 06:39 AM      Profile for Gareth Randall   Email Gareth Randall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys. I'd never heard of "losing the loop" before.

Coincidentally I tracked down a copy of the original owner's manual for the projector (while searching unsuccessfully for the service manual) and there's a section in there about losing the loop, what the effect is and how to correct it - you just push down briefly on the auto-threading button. If it happens again, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC