8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Picture projected off-centre

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Picture projected off-centre
Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 24, 2018 05:51 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently repaired a faulty projector which didn't seem to have been used for over 25 years. I'm sure it's an early forerunner of the Sankyo Dualux 1000 machines but Standard 8 only. A toothed sprocket wheel leads the film through the gate when the threading lever is pressed down but the film has to be threaded onto the take up spool by hand. It runs fine now and projects a sharp, steady picture but...at times, the film is projected off-centre, with the edge of the film opposite the sprocket holes showing on screen together with a band of light from the lamp. The opposite side of the film frame isn't visible. The pressure plate seems to be making good contact with the film in the gate and I can't think what could cause this. Last night, I watched a compilation of 50' family films spliced together on a 200' reel. The first film projected off-centre but after the first splice the rest of the film projected normally. I ran the same reel on another projector (a Sankyo Dualux 1000) without any problem. Any thoughts, please?

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted July 25, 2018 08:53 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The film seems to slip-off the gate at the first reel,and somehow slip back to the correct position at the splice?

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2018 05:13 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that is what happened the other night. The fault has happened at times with other films.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 26, 2018 09:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest that the threading lever isn't returning the gate to its normal closed position after threading.
Also, perhaps the gate springs need replacing, (or you could pull them out slightly.)

--------------------
Maurice

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2018 12:35 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the side of the gate channel opposite the claw, ther are usually two pressure guides that press against the side edge of the film. With no film in the gate, check these by gently pressing them outward from the channel. They should move out and the return inward when you release pressure. These may need to be cleaned if they do not move out and back smoothly.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 26, 2018 06:26 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the replies all. The pressure guides at the side of the gate channel moved in and out easily. They and the gate have been cleaned using 100% IPA. When the threading lever is pressed, it pulls the top of the pressure plate away from the film channel but the plate goes back once the lever is released. I found what seem to be adjustment screws for the gate springs and tightened them a little. The auto-threading only takes the film through the gate and after that the film needs to be threaded by hand. I think that the threading lever needs to be released immediately the film emerges from the threading mechanism. No handbook, of course. The film which projected off-centre the other night ran perfectly tonight twice. I think between us we cracked it. Cheers!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC