8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Dual Gauge Projectors v Single Gauge Ones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dual Gauge Projectors v Single Gauge Ones
Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2018 05:52 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that projectors which only cater for one gauge of film as opposed to dual gauge are generally better. Is this true and why?

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 30, 2018 06:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dual guage projectors only have a single claw pin, so that they can accommodate the different perforation spacing of 8mm and super 8mm. This makes dual guage projectors much more fussy about handling splices and films with minor perforation damage. So there are real compromises in the design of dual guage machines and only a few manufacturers (Eumig) got it right.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2018 06:53 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Paul. Sankyo seem to have got it right as well. Did the double claw on single gauge projectors result in a more stable image on screen I wonder?

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted July 30, 2018 08:24 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That wouldn't help much for the picture steadiness,but it should be more forgiving for the bad splice/perforations (to a certain extent [Roll Eyes] )

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 31, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the feedback. I can see that single gauge projectors are better at handling poor splices and perforation damage due ti the extra claw. These are faults though which are easily fixed. So, in what other ways is a single gauge machine better than a dual gauge one?

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 02:14 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purely practical terms a single gauge projector has less parts to loose if you need to change sprockets and toothed wheels also less wear on parts due to changing them or their position. Also on Eumig sound machines no chance of knocking off the claw if changing the gate with claw extended.
Also marginally less wear on standard 8 perforations as the claw would hit the film at a lower velocity as it wouldn't be starting moving at the Super 8 height.

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 04:44 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know what you mean about having to change the gates and sprockets on Eumig sound machines to switch gauges. I had one where the alternative parts could be stored within the projector. With the one I have now, they're in a loose plastic box. I bet there's a fair few missing boxes with that model. I suppose that there's merit in having separate single gauge projectors for Standard 8 and Super 8. I have one of each but tend to use lever-operated dual gauge ones most of the time. Thanks, Brian.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 09:18 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had Elmo FP-A dual gauge projector. While it's a good projector with bright/crisp image&dead easy to change the format with just one lever switch,the internal mechanics are so horribly complicated to achieve that. [Eek!] Adding still/flicker-free projection function to it really makes it almost impossible to disassembly/repair.

In finally gave it up and sold it away. Then attain a simple sprocketless Yelco projector instead (rebranded Sankyo maybe [Confused] ). Not as decent as Elmo,but much less parts to go wrong. Should be more OK in the long run.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 02:56 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good point. The more bells and whistles there are then there's a greater chance that something will go wrong.

Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2018 02:55 PM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How are the dual gauge noris sound projectors like the 310 D ?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC