8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak Ektachrome

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak Ektachrome
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 05:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fantastic news from Kodak, it looks like 35mm still, Super 8, and 16mm will be on sale before the end of the year, might even be sooner [Cool]

So dust of those Super 8 and still cameras....its coming [Cool] [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 06:28 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I heard that news as well. [Smile] [Smile]

Have Kodak announced a price yet?

Graham S

William Olson
Master Film Handler

- posted August 01, 2018 09:06 PM      Profile for William Olson   Email William Olson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
THAT'S good news but I'd really like to see them bring back Kodachrome.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 01, 2018 09:29 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it 100D?

I like that a lot more than 64T.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 01, 2018 11:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although this link was Winter 2017, it should give everyone an idea what to expect in the near future.

https://youtu.be/2jBYtHwvRaw

I was also a bit disappointed with 64T as well, so here is hoping this new film will be a improvement..
 -

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 02:23 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm certainly excited as this will be the first reversal stock Kodak is releasing in some time. I'm sure it will be superior to the Agfa 200D which appeared quite grainy in scans.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 02, 2018 03:21 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent news. This puts Ferannia film to shame. Years after taking our money to crowd fund colour film production, they have produced B & W print film. They continually update us with a message “quiet means busy” which is utter rubbish.

Did anyone here pay £££s into the project?

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 02, 2018 04:15 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I paid €€€, Simon 😉 You're right, they didn't keep their word. Still black and white film is completely useless since there were already other companies to produce it. I hope Kodak will bring a good product at affordable price on the market.

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 02, 2018 05:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will 100 reversal work in all the old more cheaper cameras, i.e. will the notch read correctly?
Or perhaps, only in the more-up-to-date expensive cameras?

--------------------
Maurice

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 02, 2018 06:35 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I shoot 100D in a 40/160 only camera and it looks great. I’d say the color is a little more natural than K40 and the grain is almost as fine.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 07:00 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some cameras have an exposure adjustment that allow up to - or + 2 stops of exposure. A simple handheld meter or phone app could help you get a read on the necessary adjustment for the camera to expose the film properly.

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 03, 2018 08:31 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About that Ferrania fiasco...

If my understanding is correct,they literally attempted to re-open a plant designed for (at least) hundreds of man power - with only a handful of staff?

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 04, 2018 01:35 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fiasco is the correct word. I think that they reduced the machines capacities to suit the reduced market scale. But whatever they did, they failed to bring movie reversal colour stock back.

--------------------
Dominique

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2018 03:45 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be great to see this back.

Like Steve, I shot some 100D in a very basic 40/160 ASA only camera and it was fine. The only slight issue I had was in very bright sunlight where the camera auto aperture was closed right down and created some flickering. Purely a result of my camera. I was about to buy an ND filter for it when Kodak announced it would be discontinued.

For me, on the last 100D Ektachrome, the colours really popped; perhaps not entirely natural, but certainly a very nice look.

64T was always quite disappointing.

Simon McConway
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2018 04:22 AM      Profile for Simon McConway     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an accountability on Ferannia film who took our money Dominique. I’ll discuss with you when I see you at the next film convention. There are a few legal things we can do. They have produced useless B & W film.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted August 04, 2018 04:42 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simon, I'm afraid you're right. As long as they claim it's a delay, there are few possibilities for us to do anything.

--------------------
Dominique

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 04, 2018 03:36 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just one thing I have discovered folks, is that cameras that have been sitting for many years and with age can now give you problems with there electronics.

So if you are thinking of buying a second hand camera just be careful.

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 04, 2018 06:28 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read somewhere that the new Ektachrome will be re-formulation of E100G. They had to make some substitutions of chemicals that they can no longer get so really it's probably going to be a little different than anything from the past.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 05, 2018 03:28 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wow, I hope not Bryan.

Ektachrome G was awful. [Frown]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC