8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Telecine via Viewer/Editor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Telecine via Viewer/Editor
Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 16, 2018 11:13 AM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
New member here!

I wondered if anyone has used a viewer editor for telecine purposes. I had it in mind that if a GoPro or something like were attached to the lip of the viewer screen, one could get a pretty good scan. Am I crazy?

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 16, 2018 06:37 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The editor screen is quite blurry. It will hardly give a good result. With the price of scanner now is only $270sh, why need to bother with that way.

--------------------
Winbert

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 16, 2018 08:16 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only advantage I can think of would be that smooth,continuous film transport. But the resultant from thick rotating prism+smallish lens+cheapo plastic screen wouldn't be that pretty. [Roll Eyes]

The good ole "off the wall" projection would yield better result if properly done.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 17, 2018 09:59 AM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The clarity of the editor screen is what concerned me. That answers that question.

Incidentally, which scanners are $270?

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted August 17, 2018 08:41 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That infamous Wolverine Reels2Digital MovieMaker 8mm film digitizer? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 17, 2018 11:19 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that is the one...Wolverine.

The price is now even going down to $249

https://m.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wolverine-Reels2Digital-8mm-and-Super-8-Movie-Reels-to-Digital-MovieMaker/283110014242?

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2018 08:42 AM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It can be done, if you improve the light source and use one of the later flicker free versions like the Elmo 912/S, or Goko RM 8008.
(See my earlier post on wanting to buy a Goko RM 8008). To improve the image replace the plastic screen with a Ground Glass. I do that with all my viewer/editors.
Bill

--------------------
US Army
Combat Motion Picture Photographer,
Vietnam, 1966-1967.
Trained at the US Army Pictorial Center, Astoria New York. 1965-1966, Which is now the Kaufman Astoria Motion Picture Studios.

Timothy Fransky
Junior

- posted August 20, 2018 01:49 PM      Profile for Timothy Fransky   Email Timothy Fransky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's good info. Where did you obtain a ground glass replacement screen?

Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2018 09:50 PM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy. .
Get your ground glass on Ebay. Pull the plastic Fresnel screen out and measure it exactly, they will custom cut it for you for no extra charge. The screens for these Elmo viewers are not exactly a 4" X 5", so you want to measure your existing screen.
Bill

--------------------
US Army
Vietnam, 1966-1967.
Trained at the US Army Pictorial Center, Astoria New York. 1965-1966, Which is now the Kaufman Astoria Motion Picture Studios.

Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted August 21, 2018 09:51 PM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Timothy. .
Get your ground glass on Ebay. Pull the plastic Fresnel screen out and measure it exactly, they will custom cut it for you for no extra charge. The screens for these Elmo viewers are not exactly a 4" X 5", so you want to measure your existing screen.
Bill

--------------------
US Army
Vietnam, 1966-1967.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC