8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » CineSea 18 is coming up soon, October 12th & 13th!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: CineSea 18 is coming up soon, October 12th & 13th!
Douglas Meltzer

- posted August 17, 2018 03:58 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The next CineSea Film Collectors Weekend is fast approaching!

Starting with the Friday Night Feature screening on the evening of October 12th and continuing with the full day/night event the next day, this will be the eighteenth show we've held in Wildwood, New Jersey. As always, there will be be tables packed with film & equipment in gauges from 8mm to 35mm.

CineSea has always been more of an intimate gathering than a convention. It's basically a group of people getting together to share their love of film. For me, the best parts are hanging out and talking about film with fellow collectors for an entire weekend, along with going out for as many group breakfasts and dinners as possible!

If you've never attended, please take a look at Steve Klare and Mike Lattavo's CineSea 17 saga, Claus Harding's write-up & pictures from CineSea 16, along with Todd Tuckey's video of an earlier event.

John Black & Shorty Caruso started CineSea back in 2009. They felt that the film collector deserves an affordable show (Admission is free!) to both promote camaraderie and keep this hobby going. If you have film or equipment to sell, 6 foot dealer tables are available for only $20. You can rent as many as you like. Lou Franchetti and his son will be there with stacks of 8mm and 16mm. To reserve a table you can email/PM myself or Lou. If you'd like a table please let us know, since we actually reached our limit last time. There was no room for another table, unless we put it out on the beach. Beach? Did I mention that we are right next to a beautiful beach and near a great boardwalk?

As for that Friday night screening, if you're going to join us and have a print you'd really like to show, we'll soon be asking you to list the title/format here and we'll have an online survey to pick the winner. Our last screening was a spectacular 35mm print of House of Wax in amazing 3D! Thanks again to Terry and Dave of The Ohio Film Collector Exchange for providing us with that along with their 35mm projector!

The Saturday show starts at 10 AM and many, many projectors will be running non-stop and many, many films will trade hands right up to the group dinner. Upon our return we start our Saturday night screenings, which have run as late as 2 AM. Bring what you'd like to show (under 20 minutes, please!).

Recently, more and more people have been arriving on Thursday to help set up, go out to dinner and then screen whatever we feel like! If you can make it a day early, please come!

Please make your reservations soon at:

The Ocean Holiday Resort
6501 Ocean Avenue
Wildwood Crest, NJ 08260
609-729-2900 (mention "Film Show" to receive special rate of $65.00 per room)
Reserve early to get Oceanfront rooms with private balconies!

CineSea 18 details:

October 12th, Friday Evening: 7:00 PM
Friday Night Feature Screening

October 13th, Saturday
Hours: 10 AM – 5:30 PM, dinner break, continuous screenings late into the night.

October 14th, Sunday
10 AM - Noon
Last chance to add to your film collection!

There is no admission charge for CineSea. Join us!

Directions:
From North; Garden State Parkway to Exit 4, follow Rio Grande Ave to end. Right on Ocean Ave. Follow to Ocean Holiday on left 6501 Ocean Ave. From West and South;Rt 76 (east) or Rt 95 (north) to Walt Whitman Bridge. Follow Rt. 42 to Atlantic City Expressway. Take Exit 7 (Garden St Parkway South) Follow same as north.

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted August 18, 2018 08:21 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I drive about four hours to get to this (...maybe five or six depending on Brooklyn and Staten Island: there are days...), so I'm not a good indicator of how worthwhile getting to CineSea is.

-just ask the ones that are driving from Illinois and Texas, and the others that are flying in from Minnesota and Japan (and sometimes California and Iceland) how good it is!

Yes! It's that good.

We've done a pretty decent job adding a few new people every time lately, but there's still room!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2018 09:44 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was just working in Maryland about a month ago and thought it would be nice if this was going on then as I would only be about 3 hours away. As it is I'm about 9 hours away. Guess I shouldn't complain about that drive when collectors come from Japan and Texas! [Smile]

Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted August 18, 2018 09:49 AM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ll most likely drop in for an hour or so, can’t partake fully this time.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 18, 2018 12:29 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, c'mon fellas, it's fun and educational and we have the best places to wine & dine (great team) - I'm looking to buy, so bring your shorts...(there's a joke there, but ain't goin' that way) - Shorty

Greg May
Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2018 12:24 PM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking to try and make it this time around. I held back in the Spring since my projectors were not ready. With both of them repaired and a few films in my collection now, I am looking to come and pick up some new things. Also, looking forward to meeting some new people.

I've been relatively quiet on this forum. I came to see when the show was this October. I pop up a little more on 16mm Talk, but will try and pop on here in the future as well.

--------------------
16MM: EIKI SNT-0, EIKI NT-0
8MM: ELMO ST-600M

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 11, 2018 05:21 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are at least two other fellows from the great state of Delaware there, hope you make it.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Greg May
Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2018 11:49 AM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Should be booking my room in the next day or so. Hopefully will be able to bring some short subjects home with me. I'm looking to build a library of soundies, to put on a show locally here in Wilmington.

Also, looking for other films as well. I have a pretty broad range in what I am interested in.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 12, 2018 11:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will find some films there you like, Greg.

I won't say I've never had a dry patch there, but I will say some of the best finds I've ever had were at CineSea. There is often some really good stuff on the tables, and sometimes a friend who knows what I like will run across something and bring it there for me.

What I really like is everything I enjoy about film I enjoy even more when I am there: the enthusiasm in the room is tangible, as a matter of fact the first time I brought my wife along, she came home with a couple of films!

-before this she was basically just an innocent bystander in the film hobby.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Greg May
Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2018 12:51 PM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just booked my room Steve. I will be down Friday afternoon and will be staying until Sunday morning. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 12, 2018 09:21 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great news, Greg.

If anyone who's coming hasn't booked a room yet, please do so very soon. The Ocean Holiday will close for the winter right after CineSea so they would like to have an idea of how many rooms to keep open for us.

Doug

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2018 10:08 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Done and done. I will be arriving on Thursday so I guess that puts me on the screen set up committee. Save me a bar stool at Mulligan's Irish Pub and tell Uncle Bill to fire up the grill.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 13, 2018 11:41 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Done - I'll be sure of that, Shorty

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2018 11:48 AM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Placing the call! See you all soon!

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Greg May
Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2018 01:37 PM      Profile for Greg May     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Bell & Howell Super 8 projector I got over the Summer. I believe the model is a Lumina 8? I'd have to take another look. Regardless I was planning on bringing it with me, if anyone wants to take a look. I have no prints, so I wouldn't mind picking something up to test it out.

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 15, 2018 10:27 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's time to put forward your choices for that special print you'd like to share with everyone at the Friday Night Feature screening on October 12th. Please reply with your nominations here.

Doug

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC