8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon Sound 6100

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon Sound 6100
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 19, 2018 02:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend passed away recently and his widow has given me his Super 8 Chinon Sound 6100.
I have many Chinon projectors. these have zoom lenses and take either the A1/231 100w 12v lamp, or the A1/232 150w 15v lamp.
But this new projector is quite a surprise. The lens is not a zoom, it's an f1.3, 19mm. And, the lamp is the A1/229 50w 8v (quartz halogen, not the Mae West.)
Its performance is very good and it gives a very large well lit picture. But it does make me wonder why its spec varies from the usual models.
Have you got one?
The instruction book says that models for use in Canada and the USA use the DNE 120v 150w lamp.
https://van-eck.net/img/itable/images/film_29_6100%20Z%20Sound_1437041750840.jpg

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2018 04:53 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see that some other Chinon models used a 8v 50w power supply for the lamp. My guess is that they ran out of the correct transformer and fitted one of those from stock instead. The lens fitted to yours was used on other models so the same thing might have happened. There again, the previous owner might have fitted it himself thinking it gave a better picture.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 19, 2018 05:01 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Will, for your comments.
As regards the lens, this is as mentioned in the instruction book, obviously supplied when new.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 19, 2018 12:08 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Super 8 Database, you have the correct lens fitted for the 6100. A zoom lens came with the 6100 Z. Other than that, the models are identical.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC