8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Greed/Rare/stupidity or what?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Greed/Rare/stupidity or what?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 25, 2018 11:36 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As we all know films are worth what people want to pay. But is it me or are things just simply becoming either stupid or just people looking to take the Mick?
We all know some titles are worth more than others etc etc. Its all been discussed before, many times.
But when i look on forums now and see collectors selling with prices normally laughed at on ebay are we to assume that other collectors must be thought of as a bit stupid and may perhaps pay? I wont mention any names or which forums as that only causes unnecessary friction, (as well at trouble).

On the defence of prices fetched, i have said it hundred times, if they are listed reasonable and they sell for big bucks, then thats fine as the seller has not taken the mick! This is were the buyer wants to pay exactly what he or she wants. Nothing wrong with that.

However, i have been browsing fleabay today and now 16mm films are being listed for hundreds of pounds for titles I've never even heard of and described as untested etc. But the funny one is "Rare". Well arnt all 16mm films pretty rare no matter the title given that they wernt originally meant for Joe public and were not massed produced for the home cinema?

You can spot the idiots a mile off but it does put you off the hobby to see this. I know it's easy to say just laugh and by pass it but sometimes you cant help get mad at these dumb asses. You see the same films listed time and time again, dont they learn?

BTW, i am fully aware that there are also many bargains to be had as well. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2018 12:24 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer you first question... I think it is you. Please don't take that the wrong way but you always seem so worked up about high prices. Films or records or comics or whatever (the hobby) is always going to have items for sale at inflated prices. It will always be the case. I buy what i want at the price I feel is right. All the complaining about it is not going to stop it. This subject has been covered so much that anyone new to the hobby if they have done any research and reading through the forums should have some idea of the value of most films. And like you say, any collectible is worth what someone is willing to pay. You shouldn't get angry at high prices Tom....your going to have to start taking high blood pressure medication! [Smile]

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2018 02:31 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just sharing Tom's point of view.

From my side having some movies is a "hobby" and not "a business"(of course it is a different story for professionnals people).....

In the absolute, the best is to trade a movie for an other (or equivalent collecting item) so that it is not question of money.

Concerning projectors prices, this a funny situation, sometimes very high, sometimes very low..... (Exemple Beaulieu from 80 euros to 1000 euros, GS1200 from 250Euros to 1000 euros for almost equivalent condition)

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2018 02:35 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few thoughts...
There are some frequent sellers that seem to relist the same exact item at the same price--again and again. Yet the seller never lowers the price. If you want to sell, and there are no buyers at that price, wouldn't you lower it till it does sell?

Then there are those who have no idea about films or their value so they slap a sky-high price on it just in case it is worth something because it is old or "vintage" and they think that means it has intrinsic value.

The most aggravating to me are seller's like the one listing the silent Mickey Mouse cartoon for $12,998. This seller has been informed several times about the true value of the film. Yet continues to list it again and again. Either the seller is trying to find an uninformed sap to buy it--which is unethical to me, or maybe the seller foolishly paid that much and is trying to recoup a poor investment.
Either way I am sick of seeing that one pop up for sale on ebay...

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2018 02:47 PM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Greg, I have observed the same thing either on EBAY or other WEB places....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted August 25, 2018 03:26 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Thanks for the replies, and nothing taken the wrong way Bill.
I think whats aggravated me more is seeing known collectors on our forums listing for scilly prices. These people must be aware that this is a film forum and that we would be aware of the prices.
With ebay i expect it and do have a laugh like most of us but to see it creeping into the forums is not so funny. [Wink]

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted August 25, 2018 04:30 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On three occasions, I have listed films that are for sale, without prices, and this isn't the right procedure here - Frankly, I'd would much rather trade for films I want, this way the other party would be acquiring some choice titles and I the same - Now, it has been typed in here before (by me as well), that the average film terms like "vintage" and rare" are nondescript - All films, I repeat, all films are of these categories - Simply said, they are not manufactured any longer - The time has concluded - What we have is what we have, so to speak - "Rare" because many titles have seldom seen the light of day for many years and "Vintage" due to the age and scope of the film - Consider when one buys a bottle of rare, vintage wine...oh, there are those words again...Remember also that many who have read "Antique News", watched "Antiques Roadshow" and commiserated with local and national vendors on the collector market, will no doubt feel their particular film or item is due for an upswing in price, merely because it is over a half-century old - Is Ancient Roman Coinage "vintage" or "rare"? is that worth the price as determined, or that unknown Rembrandt, the 3rd issue of Spider-Man or Gum cards from WWII? - Point is, I have seen even at "live" shows", high-priced, albeit ridiculous, items, so I just pass on by - Live with it - We all don't have that much time anyway - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC