8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Which shorts by Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde were released?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which shorts by Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde were released?
Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted August 29, 2018 01:02 PM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know which films were released by Billy Bevan and Andy Clyde from the silent era on either regular 8mm or Super 8? I am already quite aware of the Columbia sound shorts from the 30's that featured Andy Clyde. What I am interested in are only the silent shorts by those two.

|  IP: Logged

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 30, 2018 11:24 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well,this is a difficult question! It would be easier if you asked for the Bevan-Clyde starrers of the mid-twenties,otherwise,Clyde appeared in dozens of comedies,many times in supporting roles,at Sennett and elsewhere,graduating to star in the late twenties. Bevan was more or less always a star at Sennett until the late twenties.I will try to make you a list soon.

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2018 02:08 AM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok then, how about the shorts just from the 1920's that were released on 8mm?

I am surprised that today those Bevan and Clyde shorts receive little attention. All the shorts I have seen have some of the slickest and most ingenious sight gags ever put on film. I especially love the stop motion they often used in their gags like "Wall Street Blues" where a vacuum cleaner removes a woman's stockings and sucks up a small dog in an office! "Whispering Whiskers" (aka: "The Crystal Ball") has the most hillarious scenes aboard a train that I've ever seen.

These two guys seem to be largely forgotten today and even the Blackhawk catalogues of the day listed a miniscule selection of their work. Hopefully there were other companies that had released more, which is why I made this post. Perhaps other companies had released them with different titles like Collector's Club often did?

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2018 06:22 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Joseph

My favourite was the Collector's Club 200ft film 'Stepping On The Gas' although I don't think this was the title when originally released.

Kevin

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted August 31, 2018 09:17 AM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I believe "Stepping on the gas" is in fact the one reeler known as "Lizzies of the field".

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 01, 2018 03:15 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is by no means an exaustive list.
Billy Bevan-Andy Clyde co-starrers:Whispering Whiskers,Wandering Willies,Ice Cold Cocos,Super Hooper Dyne Lizzies,Circus Today,Fight Night.
Billy Bevan starrers:Gymnasium Jim,Water Wagons,Motor Boat Mamas,Be Reasonable (condenced in "Good Old Corn"),Giddup (Andy in small role),Lizzies of the Field (Andy in small role).
The Hollywood Kid (cut in two reels as Hollywood Kid or Camera Kid and Hollywood Bound) Both appear in all star short.
Andy Clyde appears in many secondary roles (and multiple ones) in most Sennetts from the twenties on...with Harry Langdon ,The Smith Family (Raymond McKee,Ruth Hiatt,Mary Ann Jackson),Ben Turpin,Eddie Quillan etc,etc plus one Christie comedy with Bobby Vernon,Hold'er Cowboy.

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted September 03, 2018 03:57 AM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for taking the time to post that list.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 05, 2018 08:01 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll check - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC