8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Last Picture Show @ C G C

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Last Picture Show @ C G C
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2018 10:23 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time for One Last Show

If there is anyone nearby who would like to see my theater for the last time, please be in touch with me accordingly.

SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 22 2018

My long time super 8 cinema will CLOSE forever located on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. There will be much work to do before the packers come to box it all up prior to the move to Florida later in the year.

My next theater should open sometime in early to mid-2019. I will announce the grand opening at that time for those of you in Florida who would like to attend.

Anyone near or close to Tampa will be in my area. Details to follow as to the exact location when they become available.

Cape Cod is of course in the Northeast, 2 hours from Providence and/or Boston. And about 5 hours from NYC.

Since early 1981 the Cape Cod Cinema has been running super 8 films on the big screen. It is a sad end of an era for this iconic movie house. Within these walls, other types of super 8 projection were developed and tested, and then shared with you on the internet. Such as the Towers, and 35mm Cinemascope lenses for super 8 machines. This history will not be forgotten and is unsurpassed.

In 2,019 I will open the next journey of screening, with combined super 8, DVD and 16mm projection. It shall be in a standard living area, climate controlled, and very dedicated for the passion of movie watching. It will no longer be in a stuffy basement with other types of basement junk. Nore will it become a so called man cave. And absolutely no video less than laser disc or DVD will be permitted.

If you are within the Northeast – please take an afternoon and check it out. This is the last chance to be offered.

Thank you for reading.

Chip Gelmini

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 14, 2018 10:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man oh man ...

I've seen pictures of that cinema of yours and longed to actually visit it! It's got to be awfeul hard to have to let it go ... so many memories!

but then ... the brand new adventure to make the next cinema all that the other one might not have been, OR ...

Ideas that you had for the other one that you couldn't implement for whatever reason, but you will be able to with the new one.

The question is, will you have the same amount of room in the new residence that you'll be moving too?

I've often thought that if I have the money to invest in a new or good used house in the future, it will HAVE to have a full basement (like the one my family had when I was a kid), so that that whole living room downstairs could become a lovely walk-in movie theater!!!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2018 09:44 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope to find a home where the priority is a large living room. I measured the one here that I am leaving, and it rounds off to 12 x 30 feet. There are several possibilities and I am hoping it works out.

One thing I am trying to do is when breaking down this location, parts of it will be used in the next location - instead of starting from scratch; and also for sentimental reasons. Such as the screen, and the layout of storage under it as well. Sort of like a memory preservation.

I also hope to do one last great photo shoot before the breakdown begins. So I can have the very last pictures of how it was here before everything changed.

It is going to be difficult, but in the end I am confident it will turn out alright and I will be proud of how it ends up. Let's see where I am by mid February!

Chip G

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2019 09:05 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update January 2019

Well it did turn out to be darned good.

Cinema build is in progress.

Introducing the "open concept" whereas there is no booth wall. All equipment is "out in the open" as many of us have done it this way. Although I have beefed it up a notch or two with several 35mm Neumade rewind benches, obtained as left for junk from old theaters which had been closed. For many years these tables were upstairs in my parent's garage. Now they are here with me and in place.

One as rewind bench. Imagine that how clever.

A second for the GS 1200, and/or B&H 16mm machines, and the Panasonic video projector ax-200-u.

And a third bench for a DVD station consisting of blu-ray, standard def, and a component a/v switcher. Changeovers with DVD!

To top it off, a nice sound rack my late Dad and I built together in his wood shop - the other side of the basement cinema.

Last but not least, another strike it lucky piece of theater equipment, left for trash. A Kelmar Systems computerized house lights dimmer unit, model 2.4K.

http://www.kelmarsystems.com/Sections/1lcs/index.html

As installation continues, I will be sending some pictures soon. Thanks for reading if you have come this far...........

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC