8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Derann Or Classic Release?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Derann Or Classic Release?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 28, 2018 03:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just bought a Universal Andy Panda cartoon "Dizzy Kitty" which came in a white box with a blue stuck on label showing a strip of film in the figure 8, a man behind a camera on a tripod. Also, the words "Big Screen Entertainment" "With Super 8 Home Movies. A further small stuck on white label (duplicated) for the name of the film. It was shrink wrapped which has just been pulled slightly back to open the carton.
Was this a Derann release, or perhaps Classic Home Cinema?
The colour is very good but there are no edge markings to show make of the stock. I suspect LPP.
Any ideas?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Iman Yahya
Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2018 04:32 AM      Profile for Iman Yahya   Email Iman Yahya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also bought this cartoon on eBay recently, the box art sounds exactly as you describe. Mine has edge markings that identify it as Agfa.

I assume it's Derann since it was listed on their website:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141229182236/http://derannlists.co.uk:80/derann/8e.php

Quality on mine is also pretty nice, I appreciate it has that 40s Universal Art Deco globe fully intact at the beginning.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 28, 2018 04:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Iman, for that information.
I don't think mine is Agfa as it does not have that distinctive smell that Agfa prints usually have.
Perhaps Derann did not wish to advertise their presence on certain print boxes as I always understood that some of their releases were somewhat, shall we say, dubious of source.

--------------------
Maurice

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2018 10:09 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They did buy a lot of the Universal 8 releases when they closed. They might be original prints, but unboxed.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 28, 2018 11:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The copy is from an original Technicolor print complete with all the Technicolor leader information, also, the film opens with the "glass world" Universal cinema logo.

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 28, 2018 01:28 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
100% Derann packaging, but of course it could have been re-boxed.

Maurice, is the title label black in on a white sticky label, stuck to the bottom of the box and around the edge and inside the shrink wrap?

Is so, Derann definitely labelled it.

As Iman points out, it was listed by Derann, so I'd go for a Derann print.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 28, 2018 02:49 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rob
The label is white with the title printed in black ink in capitals. It's inside the shrink wrap.
It's 60mm by 33mm, with rounded corners, and is folded in half. The title shows at the bottom of the box and on the spine.

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2018 02:55 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely Derann.

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2018 03:43 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Rob - definitely Derann - one of the many generic box designs they used on imported or 'of unknown origin' prints - I've got quite a few of these one is pictured below to better clarify Maurice's description:

-

It is most likely Agfa so will have an AS code somewhere maybe hidden by the post striping from that period.

The thought of identifying the stock by smell made me smile, not a theory I've ever heard mentioned before.

Kevin

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 29, 2018 05:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's it, although the box shown only has its film title on the side of the box, and it's not on a sticky label.
The Agfa smell is very distinctive.

--------------------
Maurice

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 29, 2018 12:14 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seperation stock, 5235, has a very distinct smell. I could pick it out in the dark.

[ September 29, 2018, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: Larry Arpin ]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2018 04:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My svelte proboscis is obviously not up to the task - I've tried a few different stocks here and they all pong about the same to me - mainly of Filmguard - I'll stick with the tried and trusted lupe & stock identifying charts to denote Agfa, LPP, Fuji etc.

This could be an interesting feature / competition at film conventions - a blindfold test to see who can guess the film stock correctly purely by olfactory sensation - a bit like wine snobs do but for film instead.

Kevin

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 30, 2018 04:45 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin i bet you could identify the pong of VS print in a darkened room with a blindfold on though ! hahaha ! [Big Grin] [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC