8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Creature from The Black Lagoon 3D

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Creature from The Black Lagoon 3D
Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2018 06:16 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some info please guys. I have a U8 copy of this, quite a nice print, however the colour seams a bit of the yellow side, is this how it's supposed to be with the 3D effect? any advice and info would be appreciated, Del.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 09, 2018 06:34 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good Timing Dell.
I viewed my own print of this just the other day.
I can only speak for my own copy, but while it is obviously b/w, there is a sort of very light tint to it, always has been. However, on ours the 3D is still as good today as it was when we bought it many years ago. Ours is the original release not the Derann reprint.
As i understand it, as time goes by and fade to the duo colour creeps in this can reduce, or completely ruin the 3D look. Mind you, these were never brilliant, being old films now and early 3D technology, some scenes look pretty good, while others were run of mill. Some of the best scenes for the 3D are those on the boat and in the caves toward the end. Overall, it's certainly a fun film to have. [Wink]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2018 07:39 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree. My print has always had a yellow tint too, as has my copy of It Came From Outer Space.

Never found the 3D effect very convincing on these, even before any fade started. As Tom says, some scenes work ok, but most are rather disappointing.

Mine are both U8 originals too.

Of course, they are copies of the anaglyphic versions concocted in the 70's and not representative of the original 1950's polarized versions.

Both are still great fun though. I added the opening scenes from the B&W 200ft version of Creature to the 3D 400ft to give it a better storyline.

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2018 08:29 AM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Del
Good question .
Let me ask you , what color lenses of 3-D glasses are you using ?
The correct colors should be Green / Red , NOT Blue / Red that so many people put unto their box when they sell these 3-D prints !
The same type should be used when viewing IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE , THE MAD MAGICIAN and the 3 Stooges in SPOOKS .
I do recall , back in the '70's when I bought my first copy of 3-D CREATURE about the yellowish scenes . In fact it still has the yellowish tint today , and my U-8 print has very little fade and the 3-D is still very good , especially the underwater scenes . My U-8 print of IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE even has a slight yellowish tint also but not quite as bad as CREATURE .
Thanks for bringing that up .

--------------------
Dave

Del Phillipson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2018 09:11 AM      Profile for Del Phillipson   Email Del Phillipson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes David the glasses are Red & Green lenses. The yellow tint doesn't show much when the glasses are on, that's what made me ask the question and it seems everyone else's sounds the same. Have to agree, the 3D effect doesn't do a great deal with this title but it is still a fun movie. Will have a look at murder in 3D next, thanks again.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 09, 2018 09:17 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need a really bright projector to get the best 3D effect, as the glasses absorb a lot of light. My original U8 print lost most of its color, and therefore most of its 3D effect. I now have a Derann U8 reprint which is very good. And I have the front cover of the plastic clamshell box signed by Ginger Stanley, who was the Weeki Wachi mermaid who did the underwater scenes for Julia Adams.

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Baker
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2018 06:25 PM      Profile for David Baker   Email David Baker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh...did I mention Steve Osborne has the correct Green / Red 3-D glasses at THE REEL IMAGE
https://thereelimage.jimdo.com/

--------------------
Dave

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC