8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig P8 Wien won't power up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig P8 Wien won't power up
John Pierson
Junior

- posted October 16, 2018 05:59 AM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Team! I have an Eumig P8 Wien won't that won't power up. Flip the switch... nothing. Anyone have experience with this model? Is there something tricky I'm not doing lol? I see inside there's a small fuse, it's hard to tell if it's bad or not. And believe me, I'm no technician. But wondering if anyone has experience with these and can give a guy who loves projectors but has little maintenance experience some guidance. Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 18, 2018 10:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John
The fuse should be clear glass though which you can see if it is intact. It's a 20mm x 5mm 2 amp Slow if you need a replacement.
Is the speed control in its fully left position?
The lamp may have blown.
Is the 13 amp fuse in the mains plug blown?

--------------------
Maurice

John Pierson
Junior

- posted October 19, 2018 04:55 PM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and thank you for responding! This site is confirmed super duper helpful!
: )
That's awesome guidance, I appreciate it! I'm away until Monday but will look into what you mentioned and update my post. I'm sure tons of people are having sleepless nights until I rectify my situation.. lol!

So that's helpful, as the fuse was cloudy when I looked at it. I didn't want to forcibly remove it as it didn't seem like it would just pop out easy and I wanted to see if anyone had any experience first. I'll try to dislodge it and look at it closer. I suspect if it's cloudy, it's hosed lol, but I was hoping it would be clear and either intact, or visibly blown, but maybe they get hard to see through when they blow.

The lamp looked good but I'll look at that too. I just thought if the lamp was blown that the motor would still run; not the case?

And I had no idea there was another fuse, the 13amp one; where would that one be? I'm sure I could locate it but it definitely didn't stand out when I looked the 1st time.
When I checked the link below, it didn't reference a 13am fuse, but maybe I missed it or because they didn't list it, I didn't look for it:
https://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=&cat=film&merk=57&type=P8

I'll go through all these steps. One reason I bought it is because lamps aren't very expensive, so if the lamp is blown, that is easy to get. The small fuse looked really inexpensive.

I always wanted an old Eumig, and this one seems to be a decent quality when it's working hence me buying it. Do you have an experience w/ them? Are they indeed good units, or just standard?

Thanks so much!!

John

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2018 05:05 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the UK. domestic electrical appliances are usually protected by a fuse mounted in the plug that connects to the household power supply. These are often rated at 13 amps. They aren't used in the US.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 20, 2018 05:07 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John

Thanks for your PM. Yes, added replies update the topic.

First of all I must apologise as I didn't spot that you were not here in the UK. We have power plugs which have 13 amp fuses in them so my comment obviously doesn't apply in your case.

The Eumig is now very old, I bought one in 1959 !! If the fuse looks cloudy it's not a good sign. Your comment about removing it seems to indicate that it and the fuse holder contacts may have corroded, so remove the fuse very carefully.

When removed gently clean the contacts with a very fine wet & dry. Try to get a pack of spare fuses.

Yes. The switch operates both motor and lamp. But I have a vague idea that the gate needs to be closed.

When you do get it going always keep the motor at a good speed to ensure that the fan works well to cool the lamp.

I wish you the best of luck.

--------------------
Maurice

John Pierson
Junior

- posted October 20, 2018 06:36 AM      Profile for John Pierson   Email John Pierson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you to all for the insights and helpful suggestions; I really appreciate it. You all rock!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC