8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Kodak Sound 8 Standard 8mm Sound help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Kodak Sound 8 Standard 8mm Sound help please
Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2018 09:27 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,
I’m the proud new owner of one of these Standard 8mm Sound Projectors,it runs well and has been adapted to take the 12v 100w halogen lamp which is great.
It sounds slightly slow so I will see how to get into the back and oil some parts.
Does anyone have a instruction manual,it’s easy to thread and run but more info is always handy [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

|  IP: Logged

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2018 09:34 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton, I would love to see pictures of your mod and hear how you adapted your projector to take halogen lamps.

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2018 09:42 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Jason,modifying lamps is something I’ve never attempted to do,luckily this was already done before I won it in an auction.
It was listed as no lamp so I was worried it would need the old type ... luckily no
[Smile]

Here’s a video of it operating on my YouTube page,I can’t add photos because I’m on an iPad and not sure how to change them for here?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=4bI8kcPHmbM

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2018 09:44 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would too as I use one of these and I still have some original lamps but once these are gone I would like to convert mine. I will have to look but I may have the instruction manual. If I do maybe I could get you copy somehow.

Ps I just watched your video and I also use the Eumig spoke spool/reel as a take up!

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2018 09:52 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Bill,the Eumig reel is my spare 400ft reel and it does look cool [Smile]

Here’s a short video showing what it looks like with the halogen lamp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=75-KNEul3ho [Smile]

--------------------

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2018 09:55 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks good...that's what I need to do when I run out of original bulbs. Don't you just love this projector? I do!

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 01, 2018 10:00 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got it today so it was my first run,it was really easy to thread.
It is a great projector and I’m sure you know that Standard 8mm Sound Projectors are getting hard to find!
I also have the Elmo TP-8 which is also a great projector.

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2018 08:37 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that The Kodak Sound 8, operates with a rubber drive that's an inverse design to Eumig's rubber drive discs, and I'm curious if this is the reason you are experiencing slow speed?

Did you run a film before the lamp conversion?

How is the sound at 16fps.?

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 02, 2018 11:02 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael,
I’ve undone the 4 screws and the main body of the projector slide out revealing the usual cogs and belts,it looked dry so I added drops of oil to places and now it runs smoother and quieter and sounds the right speed now.
It only runs at 24fps so it was designed only for Standard 8mm Sound Films.
Oh and it was already lamp converted when I got it last week.
It’s a nice projector and in good condition for a projector that’s around 60 years old.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 03, 2018 04:12 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clinton, are you sure it's not possible to set the projector to 16 (or 18) fps ? If it has record facility, it has probably been designed for people to sonorize their own home movies (shot at 16 fps or at 18 with the last double 8 cameras) and not only to show commercial films. EDIT : looking at your video, there seems to be 24/16 position on your projector (at the "forward" side)

--------------------
Dominique

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2018 05:09 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dominique for pointing that out to me,I hadn’t noticed it stated 24 then 16 in the forward direction!
It didn’t come with the instruction book.
If I’d studied my photos or the video I would’ve seen it,
I will try it soon and see what happens,but all my Standard 8mm Sound Films Are 24fps [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 03, 2018 05:49 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some super 8 commercial sound films that runs at 18 fps but I never came accross a standard 8 16(or 18)fps sound film (I have much more super 8 sound films than 8 mm ones).

--------------------
Dominique

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2018 06:04 AM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 16fps Standard 8mm Sound Films will be home movies ...

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 03, 2018 07:15 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard 8 home movies were always shot at 16fps, it was only when Kodak introduced Super 8 that they, for some reason, decided on a running speed of 18fps.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 03, 2018 07:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Clinton, that's the general rule for 8mm sound films : 16fps for home movies and 24 fps for commercial films. Some amateurs shoot at 24 fps for two reasons : 1) in theory, the sound is better when the magnetic stripe turns faster (but miniaturisation made wonders in more recent projectors) 2) 24fps is the standard sound speed on every projectors ; dual gauges (8/super 8) machines are 18/24 fps while 8 mm only projectors run at 16/24 fps. The most important thing is that you fixed your projector. Enjoy [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2018 05:00 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve run it at 24fps16fps and in reverse and it reproduces the sound in all modes.
With this projector you can’t alter these without the motor running so I felt it was ok to do it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=86VvTdgmxUQ

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC