8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Just found a Eumig p8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just found a Eumig p8
Robert E Sutton
Junior

- posted November 02, 2018 09:17 AM      Profile for Robert E Sutton   Author's Homepage   Email Robert E Sutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

I recently cleared out my grandparents loft/attic and came across all the old cine film equipment that they used. In it was an Admira 8f camera and a eumig p8 projector. I have turned the projector on and the bulb works and the machine sounds like its moving but the wire drive belts don't turn. This machine probably hasn't be used for 30 years so I assume it needs to be oiled but of course I don't want to mess it up. Anything specific I should use and know about this machine to get it up and running? Any advice would be really appreciated. Also on the camera too.

Thanks

Edit: after further inspection it looks like the belt has disintegrated over time and I'll need to replace that. I assume that's straightforward. Any tips on cleaning it as the belt has become really sticky.

After searching all the boxes there are some spare belts which I assume are for this. They are the sized about the diameter of a golf ball.

-

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 02, 2018 10:11 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
The P8 is now probably some fifty odd years old and the spare belts may have perished.
I suggest you buy a new one.
Here's an eBay link.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/it m/EUMIG-P8-CINE-PROJECTOR-DRIVE-BELT-BRAND-NEW/201037089446?epid=1888143902&hash=item2ecebe8aa6:g:F-YAAOxyhlJRfMWy:rk:1:pf:0
Clean off all the old muck before you start!
There are live parts inside so do not work with the projector plugged into the mains.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert E Sutton
Junior

- posted November 02, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Robert E Sutton   Author's Homepage   Email Robert E Sutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice, I've ordered one of these. Am I right in thinking I should put a drop of oil in the holes by the red dots? Something like a 3 in one oil? As meticulous as my grandad was I don't have the manual but read that about the oil somewhere.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 02, 2018 11:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Robert
The oil holes are marked in red. Three-in-one should be OK. In fact, anything that revolves could have a dab of oil.
Also, put some oil on a cloth and gently rub along the spring belts.
BUT. Keep oil away from the drive belt, and don't let any nearby oiled part shed any oil on the belt when it's running.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert E Sutton
Junior

- posted November 02, 2018 02:03 PM      Profile for Robert E Sutton   Author's Homepage   Email Robert E Sutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'll let you know how I get on.

Robert E Sutton
Junior

- posted November 06, 2018 04:52 AM      Profile for Robert E Sutton   Author's Homepage   Email Robert E Sutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just an update, I got it going this morning for about 10 minutes before one of the old belts just snapped, as you said very old. Once the new ones from ebay arrive I should be good to go. Fantastic seeing my nan and grandad in the mid 60's, my nan is now 99 and my grandad died over 25 years ago now. Next up trying to get the admira camera going.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 06, 2018 05:06 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good news. I'm glad its going, if only for a few minutes.

--------------------
Maurice

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2018 09:09 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert - You are very wise in both replacing the old belts (your recent experience taught you that lesson) and also topping up the oil.
However, please do not forget that the film gate and everywhere the film runs through also needs to be kept very clean... no dust or gritty particles or this will completely destroy your "new" experience enjoying your old movies, as they will all end up with horrible tramline scratches down them.Destroyed forever.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Robert E Sutton
Junior

- posted November 06, 2018 09:52 AM      Profile for Robert E Sutton   Author's Homepage   Email Robert E Sutton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Melvin, what do you suggest I clean them with. I've put the new belt on and the feeding spool seems to be quite jerky and not running smoothly. Also after a few minutes the film stated to spin or something (see attached picture). Any ideas what that might be from?

-

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC