8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » cinerex su-200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cinerex su-200
Simeon Owens
Junior

- posted November 03, 2018 02:24 PM      Profile for Simeon Owens   Email Simeon Owens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum! I have acquired a cinerex su 200 which wasent working to be able to show some old 8mm super8 silent movies from my childhood to my elderly parents. I have replaced the bulb which is now working again and replaced the belt. Yes replacinf the belt involved removing and refitting the axle, all the mechanics appear to be working fine, the film is running through the projector and picked up ok, but the picture is not displaying properly. its like the shutter wheel and the mechanism which moves the film forward are not working together properly.I dont have the manual either - it mightent have helped anyway. any suggestions as to what might be wrong. (apologies if im using the incorrect terminology)

Thanks s

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 03, 2018 02:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Simeon!

Does it look as if you are seeing the top of one frame and the bottom of another one?

If that’s the problem there should be a framing adjustment to move the frame line to the bottom of the screen.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Simeon Owens
Junior

- posted November 03, 2018 02:53 PM      Profile for Simeon Owens   Email Simeon Owens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks steve for the swift reply, no, I have seen that knob and adjustment which dosent appear to make any difference. I have adjusted it slowly from one extremity to the other. it looks like the picture is running up the screen. Not that there is any focus on it or any of it is distinguishable as a picture, however the colours change on it and the light is shining through the film.

-

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 03, 2018 03:27 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a claw near the gate which is supposed to engage the sprocket holes on the film. It moves the frame in place, holds it still a fraction of a second then does the same with the next.

If the film just flows past the gate you will see what you are.

It also has to do this so the film advances only when the shutter is hiding the image.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2018 03:35 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simeon - Firstly, welcome to the forum !

Secondly...with respect...I seem to remember many years ago a friend of mine bought a Cinerex projector from a company that advertised in the national newspapers at the time. I am not sure if it was the same model as yours, but, quite frankly, it was a glorified toy. The bulb was a small 10w car sidelight bulb and so the image on the screen was very dull.The very minimum a projector bulb should be is 50w, and it was not kind at all to the films that went through it.
I am telling you this to avoid you suffering the heartache of seeing your treasured memories with huge black tramline scratches down the image. I would urgently recommend you invest in another machine of higher quality. Brands such as Eumig,Sankyo,Chinon, Bell & Howell and many more are regularly advertised for sale on Ebay, many of them at very sensible prices. You can always ask on this forum for help in choosing one.
I am sorry if my words sound a little harsh.It is just that when I read your message,the word Cinerex started alarm bells ringing.

Good luck!

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Simeon Owens
Junior

- posted November 03, 2018 03:40 PM      Profile for Simeon Owens   Email Simeon Owens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
melvin, thanks for your reply. unfortunately I only came across this forum after purchase :-( and when i did a search for cinerex the replies were not exactly reassuring!

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2018 03:45 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One other to avoid is a "Royale"

--------------------

Simeon Owens
Junior

- posted November 03, 2018 03:52 PM      Profile for Simeon Owens   Email Simeon Owens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your replies, the "arm" in the picture above is it supposed to be linked to something in the vertical slot?

I considered ebay but thought that the transit of a projector would probably render it useless by the time it arrived.... As a result I waited until I found something local (Quite a while) or am I generally incorrect there?

is something like this any good?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/CHINON -8000-Super-8mm-Sound-Cine-Projector-In-Original-Box/223213579400?hash=item33f890ec88:g:Rx4AAOSwlxxbvvT5:rk:3:pf:0

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 03, 2018 04:50 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to be okay. Good price..... and a vast improvement on a Cinerex.

I have ordered several projectors via Ebay and as long as they are packed well (preferably in their original box) they arrive intact.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 04, 2018 02:59 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simeon
Looking at the picture seems to show that the claw is missing, perhaps broken off.
It would work in/out, up/down, in the slot to move the film intermittently through the picture gate. Without it, the take-up will just pull the film through as you describe.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 04, 2018 03:41 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Simeon, what is your length when projecting and what picture size are you looking for.

Sankyo etc are great but you can also pick up a very nice small Elmo ST160/ 600 or 180 for £40 up and you can then easily add a 1.1 lens for more light and a bigger picture.

Whatever one of these is many many streets better than a Cinerex.

They also don`t scratch for a good while, then easily sorted, are very simple to unload if needed, and run for years.

Good luck etc.

Best wishes Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC