8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Introduction and Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Introduction and Question
Christian Griffith
Junior

- posted November 09, 2018 10:19 AM      Profile for Christian Griffith   Email Christian Griffith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the 8mm world but have always had an interest in photography and AV production. I live in southern Missouri, USA, where I work primarily as a web designer/developer. I was recently given some reels of Super 8 film from the 70s and 80s (old family stuff, you know). I'm really looking forward to seeing these films, possibly sharing them with other family members, and just enjoying the whole nostalgic experience.

Here's my question: So, I just picked up a GAF 3000S in very clean, excellent condition with working lamp, motor, etc etc (sounds like people have mixed feelings about GAF, but this unit seems really well built and has a nice Chinon lens). How can I get a manual for this projector? [Smile]

Would love to get hold of a decent PDF if anyone can help me out with a link or file, please.

-

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 09, 2018 10:48 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian
Welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry that I can't supply what you've asked for.
Your GAF was made by Chinon, hence its lens.
http://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/projectors_list/projectors_gaf/gaf_3100s.h tm
This may be of interest to you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smrNKpsrO4I

--------------------
Maurice

Christian Griffith
Junior

- posted November 09, 2018 12:10 PM      Profile for Christian Griffith   Email Christian Griffith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your reply, Maurice, along with the helpful links!

Actually, the FilmKorn link you posted was for the 3100S, but it did help lead me to this useful description of the 3000S: http://www.filmkorn.org/super8data/database/projectors_list/projectors_gaf/gaf_3000s.htm

One thing that the FilmKorn summary doesn't mention is that, in addition to the 18/24fps speed switch at the bottom right of the unit, there's a small knob (rheostat?) in that same vicinity that allows for finer control.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 09, 2018 02:06 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about my mistake, Christian. GAFs are virtually unknown in this country. So I have never met one.
As regards the Chinon projector manuals, they come in two separate sections. One, in writing with details, and a second one containing all photographs.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2018 03:50 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Christian. Your projector looks like a re-badged Chinon Sound 8000
https://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=0&cat=film&merk=29&type=Sound%208000

Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2018 04:04 PM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a GAF3000 and found that it was scratching my films, and I could not clear the film path in any way that would fix the problem, so I retired it.

Do you have anything you are looking to collect Christian? Or is your interest merely in home movies and having a working show piece?

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 09, 2018 05:59 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian, welcome to the forum! I graduated from Glendale High School in 1982, so let's just say that Springfield has changed a LOT since I moved away!

With any projector, cleaning the film path and making sure no parts or dirt can scratch is really important! Your family movies are one-of-a-kind and most damage is irreversible. I'm glad you've found us and hope we can help you get on the right track to enjoying these - as well as preserving them.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 10, 2018 04:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Will's comment about being a re-badged Chinon Sound 8000.
Copies of an Instruction Manual, and a Repair Manual, also an Amateur Photographer Test Report are available here in the UK from Oldtimer Cameras for the 8000.
I have dealt with this company for many years and can thoroughly recommend their excellent copies.
https://www.camera-manual.com/model.php?modelid=2583

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC