8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » MX 33 belt replacement

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MX 33 belt replacement
Tolar Bryan
Junior

- posted November 09, 2018 01:31 PM      Profile for Tolar Bryan   Email Tolar Bryan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you replace a belt for an MX33 B&H projector. I noticed an old post from Janet Glesser that she made a new belt from silicone cord, wrapped it around the pulleys and connected the ends by heating it with a lighter. I'd like more details on that process and what exactly is silicone cord.

--------------------
Tolar Bryan

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 09, 2018 05:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tolar and Welcome to the Forum. There is a permanent technical topics section at top of the 8mm Forum Section. There is a link to the thread describing the DIY belt and installation with photos.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=010838# 000005

I got my Urethane belt material from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006IZXJL8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Tolar Bryan
Junior

- posted November 09, 2018 06:27 PM      Profile for Tolar Bryan   Email Tolar Bryan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice -- Thanks. How long of a piece do you use to make the new belt. Should I cut the existing belt and measure it? I suspect that it has been stretched a bit. I bought this projector in 1979, but have not used it much for the last 30 years. I'm hoping to get my film digitized, but that process is expensive, and I want to view the various reels (some dating back to the 50's when I was just a child) before I commit them for digitizing.

--------------------
Tolar Bryan

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 09, 2018 10:47 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes...cut the old belt. You can measure it and then make the new belt a little shorter...or you can take a piece of string and wrap it around the pullies...then measure it. The urethane cord can be adjusted...just cut and reattach. If you don't get it just right...just try again...you'll have plenty of belt material to work with.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC