8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo Dual 8 360

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo Dual 8 360
Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2018 08:15 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago a bought an Elmo Dual 8 360 projector. It's sat for sometime so I decided to get it up and running. After a belt change and lube it runs like new. I also recently purchased an adapter from Van Eck and a Schneider 1.2 lens to fit the adapter. I am awaiting those two items to reach me here in the states. My question is what year was the Elmo 360 and 380 released? There doesn't seem to be much data on these two models online. My hunch is these were the first such designs leading up the GP series and later the 1200, etc. Any information would be appreciated. I'd like to add these models seem to be built quite well with nice features like variable speed control and 150 watt halogen bulb.

--------------------
Projectors: Bolex 18-5L Super, Bolex 18-5 regular 8mm, Elmo FP8-C

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted November 19, 2018 04:53 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shane
I can't really answer your question, but you may be interested in the following which describes the Ilford Elmo products imported to the UK at one time.
https://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ilford/Elmo.html

--------------------
Maurice

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 08:47 AM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice for the link! Elmo had an interesting history, and it appears they produced 8mm equipment for a long time! After reading a few more articles online I estimate the Elmo Dual 8 360 & 380 were produced around 1968. I came across a PDF that contained an Elmo brochure showing the Elmo 104 cine camera, and the 360 projector. The 104 was produced around this time so it would only make sense the 360 & 380 were also released in this same era. Here's a link to the PDF I am referring too. https://www.pacificrimcamera.com/rl/00083/00083.pdf

--------------------

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 01:48 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shane, I am going to look up my rare Elmo book about there history! It might be in there! When I brought all the Elmo parts in 1999. This book came with the parts. It shows you all the Elmo projectors they made! Leon Norris

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 19, 2018 04:33 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well thank you Leon I really appreciate that! As I said earlier trying to find some history on the Elmo 360 & 380 series has proven difficult, other than the PDF I found on Google. I've also noticed they don't really come up for sale that often. I bought mine online a few years ago but haven't seen any since. They must have made a ton of these then again maybe not?

[ November 19, 2018, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Shane C. Collins ]

--------------------

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2018 09:59 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well the adapter came in from Van Eck along with the Schneider 1.2 lens . Unfortunately the adapter does not work on this Elmo model. The adapter is 32mm and I'm guessing the lens barrel on my 360 is 31mm. I tried sanding down the adapter which allowed me to slide it into the projector lens barrel. However, the focusing pin broke off inside the focus knob. This probably occured because the height of the pin was unchanged. So I emailed Van Eck and he has agreed to have his designer custom make a new adapter with the 31mm diameter. He did caution me that this will make the outside of the sleeve thinner at 1mm which he says may effect the pin. I told him I would take a chance. So if this doesn't work I won't be able to use the Schneider lens in my Elmo 360. I'm hoping it does work. So it seems not all Elmo projectors were created equal back then. They appear to be the same on paper, or in photos, but the early Model 360 & 380 apparently had a 31mm lens, while the later GP series and 1200's had the larger 32mm.

[ November 29, 2018, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Shane C. Collins ]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC