8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New member with Wolverine scanner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New member with Wolverine scanner
Bill Sherren
Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2018 10:07 AM      Profile for Bill Sherren   Email Bill Sherren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,
Just joined this forum. Getting back into Standard 8mm and added a second H8RX camera earlier this year. Took quite a few films in the 70's through to mid 80's. And my dad started the hobby in mid 60's!
My Bolex 18-5 projector still works great and I have now added a wolverine Pro scanner to my setup. Having browsed this forum and seen various YouTube videos I knew in advance the scanner might prove frustrating and fussy. And indeed that has been the case! So far up to 16 on the counter and only tried to do two 50 foot Standard 8mm reels. Just about got one half of each film moderately steady. But the other is still unstable. First scan produced loud knocking sound from scanner in addition to the more correct sounding noises from the scanner. As half expected all that scan was unsteady across the whole picture. Next scan done in reverse with less knocking sound better but only on first half. Second half was jumping at top of the picture. A second reel again needed to be run in reverse to get any success but again after several attempts just one half ok.
I also notice that after running both films through scanner there is now a small notch in the middle of the sprocket presumably from the scanners claw!
Doesn't like any of the splices which are original Kodak cement splices. And need usually to unlace the film and advance beyond them and rethread to film and restart the scan. Not tried the paper trick or altering the exit path from the scanner yet. Or indeed using a box to collect and possibly feed the film yet.

Looking at the footage it is sharper than my attempts at filming the footage using my Bolex and Panasonic GH2. But as mentioned before is noisy with lots of artefacts. Reds and blues seems quite good but greens in grass look awful and mushy! Also got strobing and flashing where exposure kept changing on a darker subject with white sky. It's a pity you can't tell as it's scanning whether it's going to be ok or not. 30 minutes for a 50 foot reel and them need to do it all again and again to get half ok. Dreading running a 400 reel through!

You need a scanner built like a Bolex with the same precision! Even if it would cost the earth!
Has anyone else noticed the small damage to the sprocket holes after running through the scanner. As damaging the film is discouraging me from running any other through particularly if it's unwatchable afterwards because of unstable image!
Cheers bill

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2018 01:36 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can honestly say my Wolverine (720p) has never damaged a single peice of film in 18 months of use, and I have now scanned many many thousands of feet of film.

It copes with 90% of all the splices thrown at it.

Some cement fall apart, one or two splice tapes have got stuck but overall it has been fine.

I wonder if your machine may need to be returned.

Bill Sherren
Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2018 03:59 PM      Profile for Bill Sherren   Email Bill Sherren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will see if I can take a photo of the damage. But it certainly only appeared after running the film through the scanner. Not that keen running any more films through as the damage will most likely still occur. When you run your films into a box do you still use the roller path or do you just have the film coming straight out the gate and into the box? Do you scan both Standard and Super 8?
I got my scanner from B&H in the states so sending it back will be expensive and I wonder how customs duty work with repaired or replaced equipment? Could be expensive! Though I did realise the risk I was taking by buying it and thought it worth a gamble!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 11, 2018 11:17 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've sad it before -IMO this scanner has no business being on the market. It is clearly an undeveloped product with a host of problems and does not work as advertised, and it costs more than a 4K TV. And now the final straw- it damages the sprocket holes!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Werner Ruotsalainen
Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2018 01:09 AM      Profile for Werner Ruotsalainen   Email Werner Ruotsalainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem is caused by the standard (double) 8mm slicing not exactly being 8mm but fluctuating between about 7.8mm and 8.2mm (at least here in Europe - I've scanned a lot of GDR, BDR, Bulgarian, Hungarian etc. stock). The solution is widening the film slot by about 0.2 cm.

This will make scanning S8 footage much more troublesome because of horizontal wobbling. My only solution was purchasing a second Wolverine for dedicated S8 scanning, while keeping my widened, first scanner strictly for Std8 scans.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 12, 2018 01:24 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, the correct solution is the one used in all projectors - a spring loaded edge guide. Nothing less is going to work.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2018 04:11 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would add I was seriously looking into buying one of these units (or similar) but have now totally gone off the idea due to all the problems. It seems crazy that the unit comes with a take up spool but its recommended to have the film going into a box!!

I think for now I will stick with my usual method of using a camcorder filming the image off a white card.

Graham S

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 12, 2018 08:14 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Graham. But if Wolverine ever get all these problems really eliminated, by major redesign, I would certainly be in the market for one. Right now it seems more like a toy than a serious piece of cine equipment.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Werner Ruotsalainen
Film Handler

- posted December 14, 2018 03:34 PM      Profile for Werner Ruotsalainen   Email Werner Ruotsalainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"No, the correct solution is the one used in all projectors - a spring loaded edge guide. Nothing less is going to work."
The loud "knocking" issue and the perforation destruction is caused by the film, at the given position, being too wide for the film channel. The film just gets stuck and doesn't advance - hence the "knocking" and the evetual shutdown after some seconds OR the perforation destruction.

This is a very common issue with any 16->8mm film type (Std8, Double Super8) cut down the centre. This is why I had to widen the channel in my (now) dedicated Std8 scanner. After the widening to around 8.2mm, I never had the issue any more.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted December 16, 2018 06:30 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buying this Wolverine Scanner seems like a lucky draw.

You might be lucky with a no-problem whatsoever unit,or keep pulling your hairs off with the busted ones. [Eek!]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2018 03:20 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The luck of the draw sounds right.My scanner has given no trouble-save for being slow as a wet week!I guess I'm glad I bought it from BH.Trevor

--------------------
Trevor

Ken Abruzzo
Junior

- posted December 21, 2018 07:18 AM      Profile for Ken Abruzzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Pro. Most of my film went through fine. I did have a few that would have trouble and show the sprocket damage. It was always the film of questionable quality. My grandfather was notorious for buying cheap stuff. Never had it get stuck with Kodak film, unless it was a thicker splice. Kodak press tapes go through without trouble. Some of the other brands are thicker and get stuck in the gate (they also sometimes have trouble threading through the pegs).

I think the condition of the film also plays a role. If it's worn to begin with, it's more likely to end up with sprocket damage.

I wasn't all that concerned about the damage. I likely will never run any of it through a projector. I just wanted to get a scan of everything done so I could have a digital copy of it before it broke down completely. I have about 14,000 feet of film. My mom got to see it all before she passed. She was thrilled.

Bill Sherren
Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2018 07:33 AM      Profile for Bill Sherren   Email Bill Sherren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The damaged film was Kodachrome and the last films I took in 1987. And only run through my Bolex half a dozen or so times. Took some photos of damage and sent to Wolverine and B&H no replies yet. Scanner boxed up as have no appetite to damage only more priceless (to me and my family) films.

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2018 02:34 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would think you are unlikely to hear anything for some days with the holiday season about to kick in.

I think you have done the right thing Bill.

If the scanner damaged my priceless feet of film I would be highly irritated to say the least.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC