8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Wolverine Message

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wolverine Message
W A Carmen Ferguson
Junior

- posted December 22, 2018 10:36 AM      Profile for W A Carmen Ferguson   Email W A Carmen Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting a message that says "Check film's place"

What does this mean and how do I correct?

Carmen Ottawa Canada

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2018 02:16 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This sounds like one of the on screen messages that appears before a scan, or rewind.

When is it happening?

W A Carmen Ferguson
Junior

- posted December 22, 2018 03:10 PM      Profile for W A Carmen Ferguson   Email W A Carmen Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I am converting a Super8 movie. It gets about 1/2 way then simply stops and, as you say, provides an on screen message.

Carmen

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2018 03:45 PM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's something I have never encountered.

My best guess is to power down, open the gate, re place the film and try again.

Did this happen at a splice or broken sprocket? or just for no apparent reason...

The problem with this is you end up with multiple video files.

It is easily possible to re join broken video files with a software, if you need that sort of help let me know and I will point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

W A Carmen Ferguson
Junior

- posted December 23, 2018 07:53 AM      Profile for W A Carmen Ferguson   Email W A Carmen Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No doesn't happen at a splice. Although there may be a broken sprocket as the 'Pro' makes noises at times although not when I get the message. My son is going to look at the machine after Christmas; but I sure do wish I knew what the message means.

Carmen

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2018 07:15 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try using standard remedy procedure for computer(and most of today's electronics) - system reboot. [Big Grin]

Merely switch it off,unplug,wait a few minutes and reapply the power. Works 7 out of 10 times in general. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

W A Carmen Ferguson
Junior

- posted December 24, 2018 06:29 AM      Profile for W A Carmen Ferguson   Email W A Carmen Ferguson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's basically what Mike suggested and which I have done. It works well but then I end up with another message - perhaps after 30-40 minutes. As I mentioned, my son is going to look at the machine after Christmas. Thanks for your input.

Carmen

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2018 07:05 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is unlikely your son will be able to fix this.
They are quite complex inside, everything mounted on one board.

I would imagine the fault is not something you could find in the same way you might spot a mechanical error, but good luck.

An email to Wolverine telling them the issue, and asking for the system software and perhaps re flash the machine, may be a better option.

Bill Sherren
Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2018 12:12 PM      Profile for Bill Sherren   Email Bill Sherren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got that message along with a grinding sound a couple of times along with the other issues I've had! Only switching off and restarting cleared it. Once it occurred when a splice got stuck. Another time the film was moving freely.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2018 07:22 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once posted that buying those Wolverine is like a lucky draw. You might either get a perfectly working unit with no problem whatsoever,or you might get the problem child. Unfortunately this seems to be the latter case... [Frown]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 26, 2018 12:53 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would jump at getting a Wolverine - if they worked! But, after reading all the negative issues that users are having, its way too much of a crap shoot for me. So I have been using the procedure of video recording the image from my Bolex 18-5 projected onto an 8x10 sheet of matt white paper. By slowing the shutter speed on the Sony camcorder and setting to manual focus, I get what I consider to be very acceptable transfers of the 8mm Kodachrome films. These films, which go back to 1956, are in pristine condition, having been projected on the very film gentle Bolex 18-5, and there is no way that I would now risk nicking the sprocket holes on the Wolverine. Filming off the screen may be less sharp than frame scanning, but the color is very close to the original film and there are obviously no compression artifacts to deal with.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 26, 2018 04:53 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the same method Paul and loading the footage into most editors you can sharpen them slightly while not making them too grainy. You can also crop it slightly to get rid of any keystoning you may get if you haven't zoomed in on the camcorder. I too find it quite acceptable until Wolverine sort out all these problems.

Graham S

Bill Sherren
Film Handler

- posted December 27, 2018 11:39 AM      Profile for Bill Sherren   Email Bill Sherren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the advice some users have had to widen the film track for
Std 8mm films and the number of people with unsteady footage I am really surprised I am first to actually witness damage to the film. I only got the scanner as a punt seeing as there is really nothing else out there for the consumer. Sending back is really the only option though will lose about $140 dollars which covered the shipping and custom charges. Plus goodness knows how much to ship it back. But the risk of getting another lemon is too great. And damage to film is a big no no to me like it would be for anyone on this forum..

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC