8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New to Super 8mm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New to Super 8mm
Randy Murphy
Junior

- posted January 13, 2019 01:09 PM      Profile for Randy Murphy   Email Randy Murphy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I am new to this format and will probably have many questions for the group. Are their places that still carry new / old stock that collectors leverage? Also, would any one be able to tell me if 1983’s A Christmas Story was ever released on super 8? Thanks.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 13, 2019 01:16 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum, Randy.

--------------------
Dominique

Randy Murphy
Junior

- posted January 13, 2019 01:44 PM      Profile for Randy Murphy   Email Randy Murphy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. Look forward to hearing from many of you with years of knowledge.

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2019 01:53 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Randy,
Welcome. I Have never seen a print of "A Christmas Story"
as a digest or feature on Super 8mm. Check under 8mm print reviews on this forum and click on index of reviews, you'll see pretty much everything out there. As to collecting, watch the 8mm prints for sale/trade/wanted section. Prints are often offered here by fellow members and you can post Your Film wants too.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 13, 2019 02:02 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Randy!

I can tell you for a fact that "A Christmas Story" was released on 16mm, but I'd be extremely surprised if it was ever printed on Super-8.

This is one of those rare titles, if it ever showed up as an 8mm print I'd consider selling a kidney to buy it! (It's been about 20 years and I still have both kidneys!)

I'll have to say: If you are a fan of this movie, you have a great first name!

New Old Stock equipment and films are extremely rare. Most of the time "Used" is what we do.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted January 13, 2019 02:04 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome indeed.
Thwe Super8 knowledge lies on this forum, and I'm still learning a lot here.
People are friendly and helpfull, and I'm always glad if I can share some back.

Randy Murphy
Junior

- posted January 13, 2019 03:58 PM      Profile for Randy Murphy   Email Randy Murphy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the welcome,and information on the title. I've been collecting 16mm for about 15 years give or take, and never saw it either. I suspect, given that it's a Christmas title and rare one at that it must be kept close by those who are lucky enough to have one. Steve - at least you have both kidneys!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 13, 2019 04:36 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I only know it exists as 16mm prints kind of by accident, too.

Years ago somebody mentioned they were showing their 16mm Christmas Story at a public library.

I asked "You mean that Christmas Story?"

I believe a lot of the exteriors in A Christmas Story were filmed around Toronto (-for example: Warren G. Harding Elementary School and that famous flag pole). The Chinese restaurant still exists, but it's a French restaurant now. To me this us a wasted opportunity: kept as it was they could have served a hundred Duck dinners a day for like 20 years now!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC