8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Using TV Ears to watch films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using TV Ears to watch films
Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 23, 2019 03:45 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few years ago I bought these wireless headphones called "TV Ears" for my mom who has hearing loss. Recently we upgraded her to the digital version of TV Ears to be compatible with her new TV.

Putting the analog TV Ears to good use
When my youngest son moved back home the time I spent watching films declined. The sound from my speakers in the cine room were too load for him to watch TV in the den and the TV sound bothered me. So instead of outputting the sound to my speakers from the direct box... I switched the cable to output to the TV Ears. This worked perfect. I can now watch my films using the wireless headphones which drowns out the sound of the TV and my son can't hear the sound from the film projector.

-

-

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

|  IP: Logged

Robert Statzer
Junior

- posted January 23, 2019 04:45 PM      Profile for Robert Statzer   Email Robert Statzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When my youngest son moved back home the time I spent watching films declined. The sound from my speakers in the cine room were too load for him
LOL Now there's a switch; usually it's the parent claiming the son has the volume too loud! [Wink]

--------------------
BijouBob8mm

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 23, 2019 05:28 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Janice, I didn't know ni the word "den". In your message, it looked like another word for living-room but when I checked the translation in French, it's quiete funny as they translate it as a place where some animals live or a kind of bad place 😀😀😀

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted January 23, 2019 05:55 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well: there‘s the “den of iniquity”, but that requires a pool table!

-until you add that it’s just a “”living room of iniquity”!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 23, 2019 06:04 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That example was given on the translation page, Steve, together with, among others, drinking den and opium den [Big Grin]

--------------------
Dominique

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 23, 2019 06:29 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My den is known as the study. Others might call it a man cave. It has my desk and chair, 3 PCs, a TV, sound system, 8mm films, 9 projectors, loads of CDs, DVDs, VHS and cassette tapes, books and a lot of other stuff as well. Not bad for a room just over 3m by 2m.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 23, 2019 06:37 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Dominique... LOL...Probably "Family Room" or "All-Purpose Room" would be a better description, but I've always called this room the "Den." Nothing sinister about it. It's just a mixer of stuff...Couch, TV, Fireplace, Computer Desk, Dinning Table, and a Cat Scratching Post. [Smile] Let's say it's more of a "Cat's Den"...than a "Lion's Den." [Cool]

Nomenclature aside... The TV Ears were a great solution to the battling sound problem. I can also stay up later now and watch films. My son's bedroom is on the other side of the wall from the Cine Room (formally known as the Front Room). He can now go to bed and I can stay up and finish my film watching. I love it! [Smile]

[ January 23, 2019, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Robert Statzer
Junior

- posted January 24, 2019 08:30 AM      Profile for Robert Statzer   Email Robert Statzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds as if there was a tremendous din coming from the den. (Maybe "den" used as an alternate term for someone's study or home office/library is more common to us here in the States?)

--------------------
BijouBob8mm

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2019 02:49 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My local free newspaper's quick crossword often uses the clue "Lair" for Den and vice-versa.

Steven J Kirk
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2019 03:17 AM      Profile for Steven J Kirk   Email Steven J Kirk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the next step... I sometimes use 'noise-cancelling' headphones at night with film projectors. Amazing how much mechanical noise is reduced from a 16mm machine. I can sit next to the projector and hardly hear it, only the soundtrack.

--------------------
VistaVision
Motion Picture High-Fidelity

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC