8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Reddish movie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reddish movie
Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2019 06:49 PM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

Tonight i had projected a Spielberg movie "Duel". First i am very surprise of the cut. greats scenes are missing but i still can feel the tension and the story is clear, not like the "close encounter" where the cut was for me very confusing.

I want to ask about the reddish color, my copy is red but not so much, i still can enjoy the projection, but my concern is for the long term. Does the quality and the red color will be more present or this is the final stage and i will be like is for ever ?

One time a collector advise me to put the film in the refrigerator before a projection, does this advise seems legit to you ?

I am very worried about this issue because i have other movie in the same situation.

Pierre

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2019 09:33 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if it's Eastman color,there's nothing much you can do about it. [Frown] You may try deep-freeze storage to delay the fade,but it will eventually go pure red in the end.

Some said that certain batches of Eastman can hold it color exceptionally well,but it seems extremely rare case.

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted January 31, 2019 01:21 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pierre, the Derann copies made in the last years of the company are among the best you can find. They are sharp and thé colour very good. Needless to say, they are expensive but it could worth trying to find at least one film to see how super 8 can look like

--------------------
Dominique

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 31, 2019 01:32 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A faded prints is something will happen no matter what.

I am not going to scare you, but as along time collector as well as a member of this forum, I have solid evidence.

Below there are three screen shots from Elvis Presley "Paradise Hawaiian Style" which I took in 2005.

-

-

-

I was really proud with it and posted a report here:

Can we solely blame to the stock in judging red print?

In 2015 I screened the same print and after 10 years, it has faded to totally red. [Mad]

This print was struck on Eastman which some say a dreaded stock. But I also another evidence that even AGFA which some claim to be a low fade stock will also fade.

I have a 400' Harrison Ford "Raiders of the lost ark" from Marketing Film on AGFA stock (A1 G1). When it was screened in 2004, it was so beautiful color with strong definition. But in 2008, I screened it, it has gone purplish as shown on the screen shots below:

-

The fade of my film is much clearer on the below 2 pictures because the scene was outside and brighter.

-

-

and when it came to a darker scene, fade was more horrifying !!

-

The report is presented here:

And my AGFA print also get faded now... : -(

To sum up, prints will go fade eventually, only time will tell. It will depend on what stock, chemical used and processing method.

I am a film collector for a sentimental reason. Although I find the above facts, I will keep my collection no matter it will fade.

There is a dedicated post to share about prints that were not struck on LPP stock but still keep their colors:

Old prints (e.g. Ken Films, Marketing, U-8, UFA, etc) that have held color

Cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 31, 2019 03:09 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one film which is so red that it is difficult to watch. I found that a blue filter in front of the lens made a big difference.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 31, 2019 03:26 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a theory for some years that films were printed on fading stocks knowing they would eventually be unusable probaby within a contract deal by the rights owner back in the 80s
Better negotiations I guess led to low fade being used.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 31, 2019 03:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've had a theory for some years that films were printed on fading stocks knowing they would eventually be unusable probaby within a contract deal
No Lee that theory does not work on some releases which we knew some are just red, but some other are low fade. Star Wars "Empire Strikes Back" is one example of many.

This is about the time when LPP was invented in 1980 and some prints which were released on that period onward were struck on that stock.

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 31, 2019 04:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand why people get confused with stocks particularly when kodak dropped the lpp edge marking in the 90s.
I've some kodacolor here going red filmed mid 30s now that's a worry.

Pierre Mdihi
Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2019 05:42 PM      Profile for Pierre Mdihi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

After reading yours replies, I start looking all the film I have. And unfortunately, most of them are reddish but I don't know why, the one in non-original box are fine.
Do you think putting the movie in a different plastic box can preserve them, I haven’t seen anyone mention this case of figure.
In my opinion correct me if I’m wrong but a lot of movie cannot be found now, non-reddish.
I’m agree with you, a film in good condition is very enjoyable but sometime with a film I like very much I can forget the fading color or the red one and have a good time looking at it.
Thank you all for the time you take to respond me, since I subscribe I have learn a lot about Super 8.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC