8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Liquid Film Cleaner

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Liquid Film Cleaner
Bill Proctor
Film Handler

- posted February 01, 2019 07:06 PM      Profile for Bill Proctor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Kodak no longer makes liquid film cleaner, I was curious as to what others used to clean their films?
Thanks...Bill

--------------------
US Army
Combat Motion Picture Photographer,
Vietnam, 1966-1967.
Trained at the US Army Pictorial Center, Astoria New York. 1965-1966, Which is now the Kaufman Astoria Motion Picture Studios.

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 02, 2019 03:51 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Filmguard.

--------------------
Dominique

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted February 02, 2019 05:54 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for film cleaning I've always used Isopropanol particularly prior to laminate magnetic film striping. Its not expensive about £5 UK per ltr and cleans a film perfectly with speedy evaporation.
This is for cleaning not lubrication or preservation. [Smile]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 02, 2019 08:36 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed with Lee.
It also removes the sticky residue left after removal of long time storage adhesive tape on the leaders. So beloved by many people.

--------------------
Maurice

Buck Bito
Junior

- posted February 02, 2019 11:21 AM      Profile for Buck Bito   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We require a fast-drying cleaner for cleaning thousands of feet of film per day and when our stash of the now banned Trichloroethane-based Ecco VSF299 was dwindling in 2008, we auditioned just about everything on the market at that time (perc was still available from Christy's then) and found Solvon Type 1 (n-propyl bromide) from Urbanski's to be the closest replacement. It is not nearly as effective as trike but is just as safe for the huge range of camera-original reversal/neg and print stocks with and without mag. that we need to work with.
If you can use a slower drying cleaner/conditioner, Filmguard as mentioned by Dominique is a good option.
We have not tried Christy's current cleaner which seems to use two compounds we've not known to be used for film cleaning previously: hexane (CAS: 110543) and methylcyclopentane (CAS: 96377).

--------------------
movettefilm.com

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 03, 2019 04:57 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago, Kodak published a list of chemicals suitable for cleaning film. Isopropanol Alcohol (IPA) as used by Lee is one of the few still available. It's also known as rubbing alcohol and is sold at various strengths. I use a 100% solution for cleaning projectors. If you use it on film, you'd need to treat the footage with a lubricant afterwards. FilmGuard doesn't come cheap but it cleans and lubricates and some swear by it.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2019 05:16 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use Filmguard...one large bottle has lasted me about 15 years. I am just about ready to open a new bottle I bought a year ago that will last even longer as my film purchases will slow down (I hope!) I have cleaned a ton of film over these years and have seen no problems using it...only benefits. it really doesn't take much and it cleans off the dirt and lubes the film so it glides through the projector. I buy mine from Steve O at The Reel Image. He is a supplier of Filmguard and has it available at a good price. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC