8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Getting old and Downsizing.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting old and Downsizing.
Ken Finch
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2019 06:59 AM      Profile for Ken Finch   Email Ken Finch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everyone. I am approaching 85 and like many of us have become quite a "hoarder" having acquired films and equipment on all formats so have decided much of it will have to go. I have just culled loads of films on VHS, many of which I have never watched. I am putting feelers out to see if anyone still collects them. One collector who was interested is Neil Watson but I have lost contact with him. There appear to be loads on Ebay but no bids noted!! It seems such a waste to throw them away. It appears that only the plastic or card cases are currently re recyclable. I hate to be contributing to world pollution and the throw away society. I think this is probably due to my wartime childhood experiences and technical background! Any comments or offers please. Ken Finch.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spice
Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2019 07:50 AM      Profile for Mike Spice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is a problem many of us face.

I am only 62 but off loading for a simpler tidier life.

My problem was vinyl, so many records, thousands of them from my radio DJ days..

I have been collecting records since the mid 60's as well as the radio station discs picked up along the way, and the radio station record library that ended up in my car the day the station closed in the 80's

Oh yes and around 500 radio station CD's of 'library music' I mean what on earth do I want all those for!

Let alone the VHS and DVD's.

I gave most of the vinyl to charity/thrift and kept my all time favorite few which I still enjoy playing.

The VHS just went in the trash, during days I didn't consider the impact on landfill.

DVD's given away except for 6 of my all time favorites.

I still have cupboards full of bits and peices, goodness knows what will happen to all that in time..

I have four projectors and only use one of them very rarely for recording audio from Super 8 after scanning sound films, 2 record players, and only ever use one.

SIX LAPTOPS three tablets and a desktop....... crazy.....

I have enough wire and connectors to fit out a radio station.

Memo to self, STOP BUYING MORE RUBBISH when I live in a rabbit hutch apartment!

I almost forgot to mention the rackmount DAT player, the Fostex 8 track, the Tascam digital 8 Track studio recorder and four rack mount EMU midi modules full of synth sounds and two studio mini disc recorders hiding in a cupboard...and some couple of dozen 10" NAB spools of radio shows.

HELP!

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted March 03, 2019 08:26 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I`m only !!! 50`s ( feel much older ) and recently gone back to just trailers and shorts, no features real films wise.

Luckily my eldest son quite fancies all my shorts and trailers ( doing odd bits himself now as well ).

So I`m a lot less worried about things, as a much smaller heap thats wanted if you will.

I`ve decided to really start going at all the old good films I`ve not seen and watch them on the Video projector, try and do 2 or 3 a week. Youtube is full of great things I`ve never seen.

I`ve only got about 60/70 LP`s so not gone to crazy vinyl wise. But I might let them go as well, mainly picture discs I do listen too.

But I do still have heaps of DVD`s now effectively give away items, there was a time I happily paid £15 each after VHS etc. So going to try to get to grips with those this year as well.

I`ll admit I now also thoroughly enjoy wathcing films off memory sticks through the video projector as well. They look filmie to me. I used to view the prospect of memory sticks with horror but now love the handiness of them.

Good luck with your sortings Ken and Mike.

Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC