8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » super8 Blackhawck Harold Lloyd

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: super8 Blackhawck Harold Lloyd
Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2019 03:09 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I bought a Harold Lloyd DR JACK Blackhawck movie with the original box in super8 mute. Referencing on the box: 860-19-2927.
The BLACKAWCK catalog says 50 min or I think 3reels of 400 feet. But the film received only has 2 coils. The film received has no collure! I do not understand this difference. Has Blackhawck also sold the same film in a reduced version?
 -

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 11, 2019 03:56 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the duration of your film ? I think that 1200 ft of a silent stock (thiner than striped film) projected at 18 fps would be much longer than 52 minutes.

--------------------
Dominique

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2019 04:43 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique,

The film I own lasts 40 minutes. I compared with the video of this film and I noticed that two sequences have been deleted on the super8: the one about the kid pretending to be sick and the part about the card game that is long and boring.Certainly Balckhawck edited a shortened version

--------------------
Tony

Joseph Banfield
Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2019 06:09 AM      Profile for Joseph Banfield   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought all those Harold Lloyds features were done by Timelife and released through Blackhawk. If so, they were all edited somewhat by Timelife. And that includes "Safety Last" as well!

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2019 07:44 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks ,
And how to know that my film was published by Timelife. He is silent but there is the credits at the beginning with the photographs of Harold?

--------------------
Tony

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 11, 2019 07:59 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see they have a 39 minutes scored version. Maybe they also released it as a silent version ?

--------------------
Dominique

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2019 08:10 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dominique,
Well, yes! The photo of the extract of Blackhawck shows the different versions: 8, super8 mute and sound

--------------------
Tony

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2019 08:31 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is the old story of projecting at "silent" (ie 18 fps) or "sound" (ie 24 fps) speed,hence the running times. TimeLife always shortened the films and if the feature was too short (!),they added a short to it(!!),originally.Blackhawk released them separately. When the contract with TimeLife ended,Blackhawk did release a number of features complete, but then,came ... the end! The end of film and the appearance of video ..... In older times,Blackhawk did list the exact length for silents and the duration in minutes for sound films,so this was considered a mute version of a sound movie !!!

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2019 09:25 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That film was released on 2x 400 ft reels! At 18 fps it would run at 52 minutes! Full reels! I know someone who has it! He said the print is sharp!

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted March 13, 2019 08:46 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI,
Thank you all for your comments. I own in 16mm sound NEVER WEAKEN with Harold Loyd Timelife Blackhawck edition and it is complete, while in other editions the sequence of the suicide tentive is cut short! I have extracts of 16mm Harold Lloyd films that have been published for Spanish television and there is a story in Spanish.

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC