8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Calming the 926GL

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calming the 926GL
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 30, 2019 04:12 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lately I have been restoring my old Eumig 926GL, and thanks to parts from Van Eck it is now " aLL SYSTEMS GO!" Anyway it reminded me that probably the most annoying thing about that no-feed-sprocket coaxial reel arrangement is the thrashing about of that large length of film coming off the supply reel. It really is something to behold, with the film thrashing vertically with an amplitude of about one inch, its a wonder it doesn't shake the emulsion off! So here is a simple fix to that problem which I came up with several years ago, just the addition of a couple of rollers on top of the lamphouse calms things down considerably:

I  -

-

-

I think that the coaxial reels would have worked so much better if Eumig had not abandoned the top feed sprocket in place of a flapping roller on a leaf spring.
Of course the 931 and up projectors were all normal 2-sprocket film path deign.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2019 04:41 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the top sprocket idea with co-axial reels theory, the Mk 501with no top sprocket and normal reels didn't behave badly. all the early 900 series (903 etc) did.
I might try that myself when I get my 926GL out,

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 31, 2019 10:14 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, I had this machine! And I did not care for it! To me it just did not give off enough light! To dim! And I did not care for the reel design! It looked nice and ran nice! So I sold it! And at a good price 185.00. It was in mint condition! If it had better light and reel arms! I might have kept it!

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted March 31, 2019 11:39 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't disagree with anything you have said Leon. The use of an f1.0 prime lens on the 926 does make a big difference though in brightness, contrast, and sharpness. That Eumig f1,3 'optical levelling' lens is just not a very good lens. The big virtue of all the 900 series stereos is the incredible sound recording and playback quality that these machines can produce, and the ease of use of the recording/mixing deck.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC