8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST 800 rewind question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST 800 rewind question
Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2019 04:27 AM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if the plastic one way clutch plates for the rear arm should automatically engage or disengage during rewind as sometimes mine is engaged and the rewind is sluggish as there is more drag on the rear spool and other times it is disengaged and the rear spool spins freely and rewinds a lot easier although the film ends up being very loose on the front spool ?.I would show a picture but not sure how.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 16, 2019 07:23 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is something I re-learn every time I change belts on mine. You'd think I'd know it from the start by now!

The spacing of the two one-way sections is kind of critical. They are designed so that when the machine is set to Forward, the slant of the gear teeth shoves the inner section outward and the projections on both catch and the sections lock to drive the take up, but when in rewind the sloped backs of the projections shove the two sections apart and they disengage so you aren't also dragging the long belt.

If the outer section is set too far inward, there may not be enough clearance between them on rewind and they will engage anyway.

Maybe if you loosen the grub screw and slide it outward just a little, you will gain enough clearance.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Jason Moffatt
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2019 03:34 AM      Profile for Jason Moffatt   Email Jason Moffatt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’ve only just picked this projector up so not shore of the position of the outer disc originally when new but i removed it to change the belt and put it back exactly in the same position as it was which is more or less flush with the end of the spindle which gives it just enough clearance from the inner disc on reverse but sometimes engages on rewind.It manages to rewind a full 400ft reel when engaged but struggles with an 800 ft.Also when it is engaged it rewinds the film tight onto the front reel because of the extra drag.When it is disengaged it can rewind an 800ft reel but it always spills of the front reel as there is no drag to keep it tight.This is not a major problem as i rarely use reels larger than 400ft.Otherwise this projector is in lovely condition and works great.It also has optical sound so will need to pick up an optical sound film to test it with at some point.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 17, 2019 08:15 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my overall favorite projector. Of course there are a lot of higher capability machines: it's not extremely bright, it doesn't do twin track sound, and it can't handle a 1200 foot reel, but if you are able to stay within its limits it puts up a nice picture and sound (through an external amp) and because of it's simplicity, it doesn't give me a lot of grief. (It just works.)

I have two runners. One of them was found new in the box in a defunct camera shop about two years ago. One of these days I'm going to write up the experience of raising this Mummy from the dead!

That whole arrangement at the rear spindle is a battle I've fought a few times myself. If I was little smarter, after a belt change I'd leave the rear cover off until I got some fine-tuning time in.

-nice you have an Optical: I've never even seen one!

-

[ April 17, 2019, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC