8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo TRV-S8 questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo TRV-S8 questions
Arno Featherstone
Junior

- posted April 20, 2019 12:28 PM      Profile for Arno Featherstone   Author's Homepage   Email Arno Featherstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just acquired this projector, it's perfect for my transfer work. It was working fine, i had a big job of about 100 rolls of super 8, some with sound. Then, all of a sudden, the image is not flowing but kinda jagged and stuttery and the audio isn't performing...belts look good, it looks fairly greased inside, what causes that? I'm new to this equipment and this forum and trying to troubleshoot. Thanks! [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 20, 2019 02:10 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would check to see if there is a piece of old film stuck some where in the film path of the projector. Also you may want to clean the film path. There could be build-up from old emulsion. If you ran that many films through the projector, and didn't clean the film path, this will cause the film to jitter, and not run smoothly.

--------------------
Projectors: Bolex 18-5L Super, Bolex 18-5 regular 8mm, Elmo FP8-C

John Keleshian
Junior

- posted April 20, 2019 04:48 PM      Profile for John Keleshian   Author's Homepage   Email John Keleshian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the image steady could have claw issues I have serviced 100's of Elmo TRV machines Check claw protrusion or look at the lower claw tip see if there is a tiny notch worn in the claw tip if there is a notch worn it it then when the claw retracts back into the machine the film gets stuck in that notch for a split second and makes the image jumpy

Arno Featherstone
Junior

- posted April 21, 2019 09:44 AM      Profile for Arno Featherstone   Author's Homepage   Email Arno Featherstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Both great suggestions but leave me asking more questions. I don't see any piece of stuck film bit and I've never cleaned before....is it just a swab with alcohol like audio heads?
And here is what i found as a "claw" but i can't actually find it on the projector to check it out...  -

--------------------
Arno

Arno Featherstone
Junior

- posted April 21, 2019 09:52 AM      Profile for Arno Featherstone   Author's Homepage   Email Arno Featherstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Both great suggestions but leave me asking more questions. I don't see any piece of stuck film bit and I've never cleaned before....is it just a swab with alcohol like audio heads?
And here is what i found as a "claw" but i can't actually find it on the projector to check it out...  -

--------------------
Arno

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 21, 2019 09:57 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've never cleaned the film path, than this is probably what's causing your problems with the film transporting correctly. Yes a cotton swab and some alcohol will work just fine.

--------------------

Arno Featherstone
Junior

- posted April 21, 2019 10:11 PM      Profile for Arno Featherstone   Author's Homepage   Email Arno Featherstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

--------------------
Arno

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 22, 2019 02:56 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arno

Pull down the side cover, and then pull the lens assembly towards you.

The gate will now be revealed. On the part attached to the projector you will see a chromed channel in which the film lies. There are two apertures, one is rectangular for the film to be projected.

The other aperture is a vertical slot. This is where the claw is. It pulls down the film at regular intervals (depending on the projector speed) and stops to allow the frame of film to be projected.

It is not easy to get to. I clean my projector gates with an old toothbrush.

Good luck.

--------------------
Maurice

John Keleshian
Junior

- posted April 22, 2019 09:07 AM      Profile for John Keleshian   Author's Homepage   Email John Keleshian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
swing the lens carrier open and turn the machine by hand the claw tip goes in and out of the sprocket holes in the film is the film loading correctly do you have a upper and lower loop, that is the claw in the photo you can put a scrap piece of film in the gate and turn the shutter by hand and look at the claw operation to see if it is going in and out properly you should have no more than 1mm or .039 petrusion if you have more than that you need to adjust the claw on the TRV machines the nylon claw pin wears out over time and then you have to much claw petrusion

Arno Featherstone
Junior

- posted April 22, 2019 09:30 AM      Profile for Arno Featherstone   Author's Homepage   Email Arno Featherstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great suggestions...this will expose me as a true greenhorn but i don't see how to manually turn the gears, they are locked in place, and i don't see how to operate on the claw to make the adjustment. i was able to clean pathways that i could access and i believe i spotted the audio heads which probably were never cleaned

--------------------
Arno

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted April 22, 2019 09:58 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arno
You can turn the mechanism by hand by removing the back (take care of the speaker lead) and pulling gently on the drive belt.
https://www.van-eck.net/img/itable/images/film_52_TRV-S8_1450362358284.jpg
The audio heads are 18 frames away from the picture head. On the following pic they are at 45 degrees to the right of the white knurled knob.
https://www.van-eck.net/img/itable/images/film_52_TRV-S8_1450362350584.jpg

--------------------
Maurice

Arno Featherstone
Junior

- posted April 22, 2019 10:08 AM      Profile for Arno Featherstone   Author's Homepage   Email Arno Featherstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
great suggestions...this will expose me as a true greenhorn but i don't see how to manually turn the gears, they are locked in place, and i don't see how to operate on the claw to make the adjustment. i was able to clean pathways that i could access and i believe i spotted the audio heads which probably were never cleaned

--------------------
Arno

Arno Featherstone
Junior

- posted April 22, 2019 02:09 PM      Profile for Arno Featherstone   Author's Homepage   Email Arno Featherstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everybody....the winner is: a good cleaning! even the audio is improved...

--------------------
Arno

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2019 02:20 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
on the other hand my sound sounds warped John Keleshian can this be from the speed pot going bad?

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 22, 2019 04:24 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Arno glad to hear it's working 100% again! I figured a good cleaning would do the trick! In your follow-up post you had said that you hadn't cleaned the machine. I'm assuming you used a cotton swab? Could you see the crud after scrubbing? The other thing to remember is too much build up can scratch your film, which of course is not ideal.

--------------------

Arno Featherstone
Junior

- posted April 29, 2019 10:29 PM      Profile for Arno Featherstone   Author's Homepage   Email Arno Featherstone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK...after the cleaning the film path, the audio head, everything worked for a few reels, then this scrapy sound, not pulling thru properly, i took the back cover off - there is a lot of debris with the grease and the belts probably could do with replacing, i don't know how much play there should be in them...i did notice on the inside back cover some gritty black residue like something is grinding. this is a new feature.

--------------------
Arno

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC