8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Canon T-1 has arrived!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canon T-1 has arrived!
Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2019 09:01 AM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Canon Cine Projector Model T-1 arrived safely from Japan yesterday. After giving it a good clean, and lube I loaded some film. This thing is a beast of a projector! Everything about it screams quality! I understand now why it was considered Canon's top of line dual 8mm silent projector. The Canon PS 17mm-28mm F 1.0 zoom lens is amazing! It produces a nice clean, crisp, and sharp image. Also it runs very quiet. The bulb is a halogen 150 watt DNF type. The door that opens to reveal the lens housing, and lamp is hinged with a nice solid feel. The variable speed control works well. Speed range is 15-25 fps. The frame adjustment is a dial that also operates smoothly. I also noticed once the image is focused it does not drift. It maintains proper focus for the entire reel. Here's a quick video I made last night showing the machine in action. At the end I recorded the movie I was projecting. The movie was captured on my Pixel Smartphone so it does not represent how well the image looks when projected.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIS5YIgul_I&t=19s

[ May 16, 2019, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Shane C. Collins ]

--------------------
Projectors: Bolex 18-5L Super, Bolex 18-5 regular 8mm, Elmo FP8-C

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 16, 2019 10:29 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks nice, indeed. I didn't know this projector. Enjoy !

--------------------
Dominique

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2019 10:57 AM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I've been looking for one for the past two years. They just don't come up for sale that often. Now if I could only locate a owner's manual. I've been searching and asking around for the last two weeks with no luck. If anyone has a lead please let me know?
I forgot to also add in my original post that this projector has an audio sync feature. There's some sort of plug on the back.
The following info comes from the Canon online Museum. "Lip-sync projection, a major requirement of advanced amateurs, was achieved by electronic motor control using signals from a tape recorder".

--------------------

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted May 16, 2019 12:20 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A really nice projector Shane. Canon although not really known for its cine projectors, built some very sturdy models. The first film projector I bought in the early 80's was a Canon PS-1000 Canosound. It to was well built and projected a beautiful clear and steady picture. However...it's downfall was its over-engineered belt system which made it very difficult to make even simple repairs. Hopefully your silent model projector has a more standard design. It's sure looks good. Enjoy!

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2019 01:47 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks and runs good. And it has a good combo a f1.0 lens and a 150 watt lamp! Real nice!

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 16, 2019 06:56 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some photos showing the inside of the Canon T-1. There's one drive belt that looks like one you'd find inside a vacuum cleaner. It still looks and feels sturdy so I may not have to replace it. I'm not even sure where I'd find one. It's a flat style belt. The rest of the inside looks well made. There's also two chain-drive belts but that's it! The film transport also looks well made! Now if I could just find a dang manual!

-
 -
 -
 -

[ May 17, 2019, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Shane C. Collins ]

--------------------

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2019 09:06 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I decided to do a (part 2) video showing the film being transported through the film gate, sprockets, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyg_0hVO3vU

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 20, 2019 06:03 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chain belts can often be noisy so it's important to keep them slightly lubricated.
However, unlike rubber belts they should go on forever. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 20, 2019 06:11 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why are you looking for the manual, Shane ? Is there something unclear about the use of the projector ? Or is just to have a complete set ?

--------------------
Dominique

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2019 06:33 AM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would just be nice to have the manual to complete the set. I'm having no difficulties operating the machine, but a manual is always a nice thing to have if you can locate one.

--------------------

Shane C. Collins
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 08, 2019 05:43 PM      Profile for Shane C. Collins   Email Shane C. Collins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well after searching online for 4 months I am still unable to find a owner's manual. I guess there just wasn't enough of these high quality projectors built to have extra copies floating around the internet. I've reached out to various online sources and no luck!

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC