8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Loading Super 8 directly from cartridge to lomo spiral

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Loading Super 8 directly from cartridge to lomo spiral
Gabriel Bly
Junior

- posted May 19, 2019 01:27 PM      Profile for Gabriel Bly   Email Gabriel Bly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys! Just got one of those awesome USSR lomo tanks for 8mm film. I'm almost ready to develop some film but had a quick question about loading: Can I load the super 8 film onto the spiral directly from the super 8 cartridge? Or should I load the film onto some kind of spool first? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 19, 2019 02:14 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a long while since I've done that, but I would suggest the least handling the better.

Gabriel Bly
Junior

- posted May 19, 2019 04:01 PM      Profile for Gabriel Bly   Email Gabriel Bly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, the guy from "zero budget film school" suggested loading it onto a spool first in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W103Tc_6FRk Not sure why.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2019 02:01 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pity he didn't show him getting the film out of the cartridge. Doing it his way make sure the emulsion is not in contact with the spiral. Also I'm sure instructions used to be to take the spiral out of the tank and expose both sides to the bright light to re-expose the film (not necessary with E6 as there was a chemical reversal bath included).

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 20, 2019 10:19 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gabriel
Have a look at the video.
But don't open the cartridge in daylight. [Big Grin]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWx6Jtl1EE

--------------------
Maurice

Gabriel Bly
Junior

- posted May 20, 2019 05:05 PM      Profile for Gabriel Bly   Email Gabriel Bly   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the responses! I am not doing reversal, just developing as a negative, so I have no need for exposing it to light.

Maurice, I have seen that video before, I have been practicing rolling and that video was very helpful. I used a roll of Kodachrome 40 to practice with, when I took it out of the cartridge, it was around a small plastic ring, which didn't hold the film too well.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC