8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bell and Howell 151A Projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bell and Howell 151A Projector
Tracy LaVere
Junior

- posted June 09, 2019 12:55 AM      Profile for Tracy LaVere   Email Tracy LaVere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a retired electronic tech and an antique radio collector/restorer. I recently found some 8mm film that I had forgotten I had taken of my kids back in the early eighties when they were little and wanted to transfer them to digital media so the kids could have a copy. I found the projector I have (B&H 466A) is in need of repair so I set about the task of putting it in working order. Although the DLH lamp in mine is still good, I was shocked at the cost of a replacement, considering their short lifespan. Along with this I found I had a cracked plastic spur gear in the take-up reel linkage that I was having no luck locating a replacement for. I started to consider the idea of getting another projector.

Over the weekend, and being new to this hobby, I found a B&H 151A projector at a garage sale. This unit is in like new condition, with the original user manual and the original sales receipt (dated 1950). The unit came in the oem wooden case with the little oil can and brush, empty reel, power cord, etc. The projector looks like it was just purchased. I was jazzed.

I brought it home, took it out of the case and gave it a good inspection. The speed selector knob was not free to turn as I believe it should be, so I didn't force it. But the lamp filament was intact and the other controls seem to work well for a unit that has probably been in someone's garage for over 60 years.

Anyway, I resisted the urge to plug it in and see it function fearing that I might do damage to the unit, opting instead to search out a repair manual and do a closer inspection, with cleaning and lubrication before putting it into action.

Much to my surprise, after an exhaustive search of the internet I was hard pressed to find ANYTHING in the way of service information on this unit (although I did find a few of the same model units for sale on Ebay).

So, for starters, I have two questions:
1) Does anyone know where I might find service info on this unit?
2) Would the projector oil that is contained in the little oiler can included in the case still be usable after all these years or would it be best to use fresh oil? If so, what oil?

Thanks much for your help.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted June 09, 2019 08:20 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Tracy...and welcome to the Forum. The B&H 151 is a standard 8mm projector. If your films are super 8mm then this projector would not be compatible. I found a site that says it has a service manual for that model projector (I have no affiliation with this company nor have I purchased any manuals from it):

http://www.photobooksonline.com/books/bellhowellPROJrepair.html

I personally would not want to run my precious films through a questionable projector.The the geared sprockets alone could tear your film. You said the speed controller is frozen. This would make it unusable for film transfer. The lamps on these old model projectors are very expensive and have a short life span. I have done bulb conversions on the later B&H models like your 466A that allow using a more modern less expensive halogen bulb.

I would recommend purchasing a later model variable speed projector such as a Sankyo Dualux 1000 or 2000H, Chinon Whisper 727, Keystone 2500, or an Elmo K100SM. There are many other good models for doing transfers and loads of information accessible on this forum by using the search feature for "telecine" or "film transfer."

[ June 09, 2019, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted June 12, 2019 11:32 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a big fan of the B+H 151 projector, the Picture Master itself. The bulbs are hard to find and getting harder. If you are interested in passing this one along, please let me know. If you can get her running you will appreciate the quality these old projectors had. Good luck.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

Tracy LaVere
Junior

- posted June 13, 2019 05:32 PM      Profile for Tracy LaVere   Email Tracy LaVere   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,
Nice to meet another 151 fan. I found the manual at the website that Janice pointed out and it's on its way. Looking forward to learning more about this little beauty. And this one is sooo minty.
I took off the bottom plate and found the issue with the stuck speed control. It had just been sitting too long without being moved. The wiper had stuck to the windings of the wire-wound rheostat. Moving it from the top (knob end) and bottom (wiper end) got it moving without too much stress on the old part. I'll apply some de-ox-it to it when I go through it once I receive the service manual.
The bulbs were actually the easiest thing for me to find so far. Although the one that is currently in the projector is still good, I wanted to scope out replacements for the day they're needed. I found quite a few online and for $30 - $35 a piece. Less if you buy bulk. Didn't seem to be an unreasonable price for that lamp. I expected worse.
I'll post updates as I go, if anyone is interested.

David Michael Leugers
Master Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2019 06:31 PM      Profile for David Michael Leugers   Email David Michael Leugers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tracey

Glad to hear you have found a good supply of bulbs. I have a good supply to keep my machines going for some time. I may be a little biased, but I think the 151 is the pinnacle of R8mm silent projectors. Built like a professional tool. I just admire them and hope you get yours up to snuff. Really fun to show films on. It has the fastest rewind I have ever seen on a portable projector. Good luck and I for one would like to hear your updates as you go along.

--------------------
Live Free or Die

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC