8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex SM8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex SM8
Graham Hayward
Junior

- posted June 17, 2019 07:57 AM      Profile for Graham Hayward   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Hayward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, new to the forum and looking for help. I purchased what looks like a newer (newer than mine) Bolex SM8 and I'll be using my older machine as backup and or parts. I've purchased belts for the newer one and was getting ready to put them on when I noticed the front drive mechanism had no belt guide like my other machine.

It's puzzling to say the least and I was wondering if anyone had some insight as to my next move. The photos show the entire inside of the newer machine, the other two are showing one photo of the older projector with the guide and one photo of the newer projector without.

It doesn't appear to have been removed, but I don't know. The newer rig appears to have barely if ever been used and arrived inside its original box. I'm puzzled, thanks for any help you all can lend. Photos are below, thanks again.
Graham

-

-

-

--------------------
Graham Hayward

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 17, 2019 10:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham
Van Eck's site on the SM8 projector says: - "This projector has two different models".
https://van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=0&cat=film&merk=20&type=SM8

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Hayward
Junior

- posted June 17, 2019 03:07 PM      Profile for Graham Hayward   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Hayward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice, I think I was on that site, but couldn't find any info about the belt differential, I did think there may be two models and I've the newer. The issue then rests with what type of drive belt I use. I've replaced two, but now I'm stuck. Thanks for your help.
Graham

--------------------
Graham Hayward

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted June 18, 2019 02:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham
You could contact Bolex in Switzerland who are still in business.
https://www.bolex.ch/NEW/index.php
Here are some details on your SM8.
http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/sm8.html

--------------------
Maurice

Graham Hayward
Junior

- posted June 18, 2019 07:21 AM      Profile for Graham Hayward   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Hayward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Maurice,
Thank you, I'll check out these options.
Graham

--------------------
Graham Hayward

Graham Hayward
Junior

- posted June 25, 2019 03:05 PM      Profile for Graham Hayward   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Hayward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I've not heard back from Bolex yet, I'm not holding out much hope, but it just seems strange it's not more apparent to me as I look at the machine. The original belts had rotted off, but there was only a little residue left from one of them.

I replaced the belts in my older Bolex, but it was pretty self explanatory as to where they were to be placed. I've put two on, but I'm not sure what to do with the last one. I was hoping maybe it only took two belts, but I'd also assume there would be specifications relating to this when ordering the new ones.

Anyway, maybe Bolex will come through.

--------------------
Graham Hayward

Graham Hayward
Junior

- posted July 05, 2019 02:10 PM      Profile for Graham Hayward   Author's Homepage   Email Graham Hayward   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Update:
After looking into the configuration a bit more, I noticed the inside (middle) nylon gear had a channel for a belt on the other side of it. I also noticed a small belt guide not far from it, so essentially all they did was reroute the belt to work alongside the middle belt, but on the other side.
Problem solved, thanks.
Graham

--------------------
Graham Hayward

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC