8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Van eck guide

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Van eck guide
Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2019 01:15 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested in feedback from other forum members regarding the replacement inlay guide with roller.
I find the roller to be of a coarse finish and if halted will scratch emulsion side of the print. It has happened to me so at this point I think we need a show of hands and a solution.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 19, 2019 03:50 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I learned recently that 3D printing doesn't make perfectly smooth surfaces due to the additive nature of the layering process. Burton, is that what you're seeing here? If some fine sanding were to be done, would it help?

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 19, 2019 04:59 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill is correct. As far as I know there is presently no way that a 3D printed part can produce the smooth polished micro-inch finish of an injection molded plastic part. Those green Elmo plastic guides have a superb finish.
3d printed parts also do not have the strength capability of molded or machined parts parts, although strength and wear properties can be enhanced by the use of appropriate filler materials.
In the case of the film guides, hopefully film contact will only be made on the leader of the film during threading, so surface finish should be a non-issue for these parts.
As far as the use of 3D parts for projectors my only experience has been the purchase of the Eumig 900 series wormwheel from Van Eck, which so far is working very well for me, even though the surface finish was nowhere near that of the existing molded plastic wormwheel.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 20, 2019 11:11 AM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there's a whole new can of worms for the hobby - a separate company to do a surface finish.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC