8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Revere 88 And Mansfield Cinemax 8EE 8mm Cameras

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Revere 88 And Mansfield Cinemax 8EE 8mm Cameras
Nicholas Katrinic
Junior

- posted July 14, 2019 02:34 AM      Profile for Nicholas Katrinic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Revere 88 camera only has the controls of ,,aperture fstop,, shutter speed,, film counter,,but no ASA control. And it can be used with 8mm r100 ASA film like fomapan by using a light meter.. The Mansfield Cinemax 8EE has the aperture fstop,,shutter speed,, film counter,, and ASA control of 40 at highest adjustment. So since the Revere 88 can use the 8mm r100 ASA film ,, Is it safe to say the Mansfield cinemax can use fomapan 8mm r100 ASA film using a light meter to get the adjustments correctly without using its ASA control

--------------------
Nicholas Katrinic

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 14, 2019 02:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my early days of movie making there were no automatic cameras so it was necessary to use a light meter to set the aperture. Or, most films came with an instruction sheet which gave suggested exposures in relation to the weather/light conditions.
So, do as you say, use a light meter. Good luck.

--------------------
Maurice

Nicholas Katrinic
Junior

- posted July 14, 2019 05:23 PM      Profile for Nicholas Katrinic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello and thanks again for the reply. So is it possible to use the fomapan r100 8mm film with a Cinemax 8EE 8mm movie camera by using the light meter and not be to concerned with the cameras ASA control of a maximum number of 40 ASA only. Because that is what i hope to be able to do . If the Revere 88 can work without an ASA control then why cant most other 8mm film cameras do that.. Thats what im wondering about

--------------------
Nicholas Katrinic

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted July 15, 2019 03:13 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume that the EE refers to Electric Eye. A later innovation to make filming easier and to give the correct exposure which made a separate meter unnecessary.

--------------------
Maurice

Nicholas Katrinic
Junior

- posted July 15, 2019 04:39 PM      Profile for Nicholas Katrinic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello again . About the Cinemax 8EE model camera.Yes the EE does mean Electric Eye. From what i learned about the EE is, the camera is set up for automatic use by turning the switch from manual to automatic. The film speed {which says on the EE dial> ASA and only goes to 40 NOT 100} is determined by turning the Electric Eye adjustment dial and matching it with the shutter speed[the fstop is suppose to work automatically at this point}. Then point the camera at the object for filming. BUT,, if the light exposure isnt correct a red signal is suppose to appear in the view finder frame through the eyepiece........ So then the switch is turned to manual . Then set the indicator needle in the meter to the correct fstop number...... And since that ASA dial is only as high as 40 ASA { not 100 ASA for fomapan 8mm r100 film} an automatic set up with the Electric Eye might not work. It would be great if it did..... And this is why i hope this camera will work using the controls manually with the fomapan 8mm r100 film ......... Also this camera comes with a neutral density film lens and a hard shell case which could be a big plus for this camera... I also found out that A LOT of these 8mm crank movie cameras from 1930 to 1960 have either no ASA dials/controls or only a high number of 40 or 50 ASA on the controls on the camera. And they seem to work ok from what ive seen on some videos.. Thank you for your response and more opinions or suggestions would be helpful and appreciated on this matter.

--------------------
Nicholas Katrinic

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC