8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bauer 600 framing problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bauer 600 framing problem
Dan Mollise
Junior

- posted September 04, 2019 04:10 PM      Profile for Dan Mollise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a number of projectors that I am very fond of. Two gs 1200s that are a bit finicky,two st 1200s that are my work horses, and a eumig 824. I have been pleased with all through the years, but last december, I got a Bauer 600 and my jaw dropped. So quiet and the picture is just remarkable. Unfortunately, it is now about 10 % out of frame. I looked on the forum and it seems as though it may be a cam/claw problem. I have no expertise, and wondered if there is anyone in the US that might could service this. I hate to give up on it - I love the machine, just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Thanks.
Dan Mollise

|  IP: Logged

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2019 02:45 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello Dan,
I too love the Bauers,and agree about how good they are. But,the cam follower on the main shaft is plastic,and when the framing issues start,it mostly means this cam is worn.There is an adjustment you can make to centre the frame line,and if your Bauer is still quiet,its worth trying,but very fiddly.
If you remove the projector back cover,under the transformer bracket is an eccentric bolt with a lock nut,and this gives you some adjustment of the frame line.
If you turn the framing control as you look inside the projector,you will see how the linkage works,and be able to locate the locknut and the bolt.
Its easier to understand when you look at the parts involved, .
if the cam is worn,then the machine will become noisier,and the cam is no longer available.

Dan Mollise
Junior

- posted September 05, 2019 08:58 PM      Profile for Dan Mollise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Thanks so much. The projector is deadly quiet, so maybe I can adjust it a bit. I am certainly going to try.
Dan

Dan Mollise
Junior

- posted September 13, 2019 12:54 PM      Profile for Dan Mollise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
David, before I start loosening things I shouldn't, I was wondering if you could tell which, if any of these are the proper nut and bolt

[ September 15, 2019, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2019 03:28 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,
Viewed from the front,under the big frame transformer, behind the voltage adjuster there are 3 nuts with slotted shafts in their centres.They form a triangle,and you want the uppermost one.
The other 2 are larger,dont touch these since they adjust the claw.Shine a torch onto these as you turn the framer on the lamphouse,and you will see the top nut/shaft move a little.
Undo the nut slightly,and turn the slotted shaft a tiny bit. . Its trial and error,and fiddly,but it does enable you to get that frame line centralised.
Sorry I cant do pictures,but just stick with the uppermost of the 3 locknuts,which is also the smallest.
Let us know how you get on.

Dan Mollise
Junior

- posted September 13, 2019 04:38 PM      Profile for Dan Mollise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So kind of you to answer. Thank you! I will get to work!

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 14, 2019 10:44 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan, let us know the out come! I said to you before it could be out of adjustment! It should take you no time to fix!

Dan Mollise
Junior

- posted September 14, 2019 10:28 PM      Profile for Dan Mollise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David,
Did just as you said and to my great relief, it is completely in frame now! I can't thank you enough for taking the time to share your knowledge. I had just about given up on this beautiful machine - what a testament to the kindness of this community that we can help each other from half way around the globe. Again my humble thanks and now off to watch some L & H, Chaplin or Keaton this evening!
Dan

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 02:34 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great news Dan,well done.

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2019 10:43 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Dan! Enjoy those films!

Mike Brantley
Junior

- posted September 15, 2019 02:14 PM      Profile for Mike Brantley   Email Mike Brantley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome development!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC