8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Focusing using a scope lens

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Focusing using a scope lens
Ben Zotto
Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2019 05:03 PM      Profile for Ben Zotto   Email Ben Zotto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all, I have been futzing around with a scope lens occasionally and there's something that puzzles me-- that lens has a focus ring on it (marked distances in meters). I'm not sure when, if ever, or how, to adjust that, and how it relates to the primary focus on the projection lens.

Here's what I do now:
1. Mount/line up the scope lens in the correct orientation (axis) in front of the projector.
2. Twiddle the projector zoom lens outer ring to get the picture size I want.
3. Twiddle the focus on the projector until picture appears sharpest.
4. That's it. I don't mess with the focus ring on the scope lens.

But I have a nagging feeling that I'm probably missing out, or at the very least don't understand the optics interplay.

Can anyone bullet-point me the correct order of operations of setting up and focusing when also using a scope lens? Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted September 18, 2019 07:35 PM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And here's the only steps you had missed out. [Wink]

3.1 After you get the sharpest focus from the main projector lens esp. horizontal line (look for sharpest possible frame line for example).
3.2 Then swing the scope attachment in. Adjust its focus ring until you get BOTH sharpest possible horizontal and vertical lines.

The scope attachment, in principle, will alter ONLY the vertical sharpness of the projected picture. That's why it is necessary to make the horizontal plane sharpest first.

PS this is probably grossly/overly simplified explanation&process, but should be good enough to get the job done, for now. [Cool]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2019 09:02 AM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best scope lens is the one that fits in the lens barrel! Once its in there just aim and focus! There is no playing around!

Ben Zotto
Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2019 01:18 PM      Profile for Ben Zotto   Email Ben Zotto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Nantawat! That is precise and helpful. Will give it a shot next time I set up for scope. Would love to see the high-school-physics-class optics diagrams to show what's going on in this lens combo. Thanks.

(@Leon fair enough maybe I will just hot-glue-gun the lenses together! [Wink] )

Leon Norris
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2019 01:51 PM      Profile for Leon Norris   Email Leon Norris   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ben, they did make a scope lens that fitted in the Elmo machines! It worked out a lot better! The films were a lot brighter!!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC